New Member Introduction

Please introduce yourself here.
ActiveAl

New Member Introduction

Post by ActiveAl »

My name is Alan and I am a prepaholic. Is this where one signs up for the twelve step program? No seriously, prepping is not the disease - it is the cure. Right? And I believe its akin to being a "realist. "
I came over from this thread http://budgetlightforum.com/node/70942 at the Budget Light Forum, and I thank David for the invite to participated in the Survival and Emergency Preparedness forum. Thank you David! FWIW, I am an avid flashaholic too.

My latest prepping project has been to make a basic first aid kit for myself, my wife, my car, my children, and adult grand children. Turns out I made 15 total kits - many were Christmas presents. Here's an item list:
Item, Qty
3/4" x 3" Bandaids 30
1" x 3" Bandaids 20
5/8" X 2.25" Bandaids 15
Spot Bandaids 6
2" x 2" Guaze Pads 5
3" x 3" Guaze Pads 5
2" Non-Sterile Roll Guaze 3
Wooden Steril Q-tips 10
3M Transpore Plastic Tape 1 roll
3M Micropore Paper Tape 1 roll
Cohesive Wrap, 2" x 5 yds. 1 roll
Bandage Scissors 1 pr
1 x Sofirn C01S AAA Flashlight 1
Antiseptic Wash 2 oz.
Alcohol Prep Pads 6
Hydrogen Peroxide 1 bottle
Medi Honey Gel 1 tube
Germ Shield Silver Gel t tube
Hydrocortisone Cream 1 tube
Triple Antibiotic Ointment 1 tube
Liquid Bandage 1 bottle
and this case: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297636 ... 4c4d8CMDRo

The above is really just a boo boo kit. My next project is to make a more advanced kit for "serious bleeding" using this case https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071K ... UTF8&psc=1.
I'm sure I'll be reading-from and posting-to this forum to get advise. Thanks!
David
Administrator

Re: New Member Introduction

Post by David »

Welcome to the board and thanks for coming over. And yes, you are in the right place :)

A bunch of us are flashoholics here as well. In fact, Racer on BLF was my webmaster on the old board. I find it relaxing to put together a kit, bag or pack. My Maxi Versipack just came in today so I know what I’ll be doing tomorrow :)

So welcome, enjoy, make the place a home and jump in anywhere/everywhere.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
El Pistolero

Post by El Pistolero »

I am a new member of the SEP board. My thanks to David for the invitation to join the Survival and Emergency Preparedness forum. I plan on reading and learning more about survival and emergency preparedness.

Stay well and stay safe,

El Pistolero
Last edited by El Pistolero on Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member* Glock Certified Armorer* GSSF Member
CUFI~ Christians United for Israel
Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.
"Inhale courage. Exhale fear." Old Vaquero Saying
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Welcome aboard. Enjoy a feel free to jump in anywhere. :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
DustyJacket

Post by DustyJacket »

Hello.
I have not had the time, money, nor spousal buyin on prepping.

However, under the guise of being ready for our ice storms, I have instituted a program of buying cases of whatever, and using that to live on, and adding here and there.

I also bought cases of “camping food”. 😀

With the latest events the wife is happy about that.

A month ago I ordered more freeze dried, but the order is limbo pending new stock.

Could not find flour locally so the spouse ordered a 50 pound sack. So I think she is getting with the program.

Our tornado room in the basement is also our pantry.
Attachments
D0748C31-CC68-439E-A135-44837E06C066.jpeg
D0748C31-CC68-439E-A135-44837E06C066.jpeg (41.14 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
David
Administrator

Post by David »

DustyJacket wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:10 pm Hello.
I have not had the time, money, nor spousal buyin on prepping.

However, under the guise of being ready for our ice storms, I have instituted a program of buying cases of whatever, and using that to live on, and adding here and there.

I also bought cases of “camping food”. 😀

With the latest events the wife is happy about that.

A month ago I ordered more freeze dried, but the order is limbo pending new stock.

Could not find flour locally so the spouse ordered a 50 pound sack. So I think she is getting with the program.

Our tornado room in the basement is also our pantry.
Welcome to the board and very nice pantry. It's nice when the spouse starts to get on board, makes it so much easier to act as a team because each person can offer input as to essentials and such.

Great to have you on the board. :)

cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

It's nice to have a large comprehensive first aid kit but it's more important to know how to use it.
Too many people make or buy a first aid kit but never get any instructions on how it's used.
"Stuff" is useless unless you have the knowledge.
fastbolt

Post by fastbolt »

New member to Board (again).

As you were.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Glad to have ya come over again :)

mdell49

Post by mdell49 »

My name is Mike. I am located in the central Sierra's in California. I am a former LEO and am in my mid 60's. I have a small piece of property,( 3 acres )and for the last 25 years have had a shelter in place mentality. I like to grow my own vegetables and my wife and I enjoy canning and preserving. I am an avid big game hunter and have traveled extensively in pursuit of big game. I process my own animals and enjoy making sausages and trying new recipes. I think being prepared is a basic common sense skill that is not all that common.

I picked the location we live in to live in as secure a location as possible. I commuted to Fresno Ca to work for 23 years 100 miles round trip to live in a location that would give myself and family a strategic location should a SHTF occurrence transpire. A GHB was an essential item to make the commute with. We heat the house exclusively with wood and have a whole house generator for the blackouts that are now common in Ca. All was working just fine until the fires hit and with it the cancellation of homeowners insurance and the unbelievable increase in rates that came along with it. Some things an individual just can't prepare for. Anyway I am pleased to be here and am sure I will learn a great deal from the members here. Thank you Dave for the invite