Power banks

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
David
Administrator

Power banks

Post by David »

I have several different power banks. I like to toss one in my EDC sling bag to charge my phone or a flashlight battery if needed. I normally charge from the car as well as having a regular plug if I'm at someone's house. But it's nice to have a power bank in case those aren't handy.

My main one for the house is an Anker Astro 5000. They have progressed since I bought mine several years ago. It was able to charge my phone (which then was a Samsung Galaxy) four times with power left over. I have an Iphone 6 now but I'm sure it would be about the same. Nowadays they have even more capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Upgraded-C ... 734&sr=8-2

I have one of those $10 banks you see in the impulse buy section of Walmart on the way to the checkout. Has a digital read out of the battery %. It has turned out to be a very good little unit and it's the one I keep in my EDC sling bag.

In Bob's recent EDC bag video he had one of those little solar powered bank chargers so I decided to order one off Ali Express to see how it works.

I also have an Anker Astro 14W folding solar power folding panel that has the USB plugs. That doesn't hold power like a bank but it's worked very well during our SEP gatherings while out in the wilds.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bogart

Re: Power banks

Post by Bogart »

I have a "jolt" I got from Amazon. 5000 mh like yours.
I can charge a phone twice on a charge.

I also got two of the ones from Patriot power that have a solar panel built in to charge it. It takes a really long time to charge it with the solar. Other than that I am happy with them.
Tixx

Post by Tixx »

This is one I EDC. Bought it on sale though during the black Friday sales

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/flip-fami ... ower-bank/

I also keep an extra long cord so it can stay in my pack while I use the phone.
KILLERtj

Post by KILLERtj »

I have two powerbanks, both are "PocketJuice" brand. The one that resides in my EDC is 5000mAh and the larger 20,000mAh one sits at home.

KILLERtj
David
Administrator

Post by David »

KILLERtj wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:55 pm I have two powerbanks, both are "PocketJuice" brand. The one that resides in my EDC is 5000mAh and the larger 20,000mAh one sits at home.

KILLERtj
What did you pay for your 20,000mAh? I see them at Wallyworld for $32. I see it has good ratings/reviews.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
fishingjeff
Board Founder

Post by fishingjeff »

Got my wife a Goal Zero 30 last year. She uses it constantly, as she travels constantly. Works great for keeping her phone charged up. Lots of apps always running for her to use for work. Completely recharges in about 2 hours off of a laptop or 110 VAC adapter. Best investment for the buck.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Received this one yesterday to try out:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000461 ... 4c4dW7imEH

After looking at Bob's EDC video I decided to get one and try it out. It has a five-bar power indicator. Came with four lights lit up so I'll peg that at about 80% charged. I'm charging my phone and Ipad right now to drain it so that I can see how long it takes to charge back up just using the solar panels. It was inexpensive but we'll see how well it performs and how long it lasts. I'll update as I'm able to offer input.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I ran the bank dry on the Ipad. So I put it outside facing the sun an hour ago. Intermittent cloud cover but it's up to 1-bar at this time.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:05 am I ran the bank dry on the Ipad. So I put it outside facing the sun an hour ago. Intermittent cloud cover but it's up to 1-bar at this time.
Been cloudy and rainy since I posted the above. Hopefully later today or tomorrow will be sunshine and I can test this sucker out :D

KILLERtj

Post by KILLERtj »

David wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:07 am
KILLERtj wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:55 pm I have two powerbanks, both are "PocketJuice" brand. The one that resides in my EDC is 5000mAh and the larger 20,000mAh one sits at home.

KILLERtj
What did you pay for your 20,000mAh? I see them at Wallyworld for $32. I see it has good ratings/reviews.
Sorry the delayed response!
I got it at Meijiers on a Black Friday for $20, couldn't pass it up. Its seems to work well, but haven't used it a ton.

KILLERtj