Tarp shelters

From clothing to man-made to commercial shelters.
David
Administrator

Tarp shelters

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Tarp shelters

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Tarp shelters...

Last edited by Gnepig on Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
... Just a Dude...
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

For stealth camping:

Last edited by Gnepig on Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
... Just a Dude...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Gnepig wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:28 am For stealth camping:
Gene, I really like some of the shelter systems you've come up with over the years. Always look forward to what you're testing next and your thoughts on them.

:)

bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I loved the US army pup tents. By the time I was old enough to buy one, they weren't in the surplus stores. So, many years later, in a world of poorly constructed, flimsy big box store tarps, I had to look hard for quality tarps with grommets on line. Didn't pick up the tent pegs. So, David, you inspired me to buy some pegs on line. If they are quality enough, I will search for better ones. And, if you end up going the tarp route, make sure that you buy grommet repair parts and a tool.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

I had seen that TA Outdoors video sometime back and really liked the designs he was pitching, in fact I really liked that tarp he was using too, so I bought one= it is very nice but it cost about $70 bucks...

I later seen the video with Corporals corner and liked it so much that I had to have one of those real deal military poncho's= it is very nice/heavier but nice, I bought it at the Gun Hiway flee market for $35 bucks. I keep it rolled up real tight in my EDC pack with a couple of 25 foot hanks of para cord and couple of lightweight tent stakes. I can't seem to find those for sale anywhere else for some reason.
I first bought the ones from amazon and eBay and they are NOT the real military issue poncho's= very poor copies.
... Just a Dude...
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

It is very vague in my mind. Probably 20 or so years ago, I went to a seamstress and had her make two set ups with the real deal military ponchos and liners. They are stored somewhere in the attic.

I also got in gear and ordered some non flashy metal tent pegs for my tarps that can be made into tents.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Getting chilly. Low tarp, sealed at the ends....

Or Bednet w/ Poncho over it works for me.