Your EDC multi-tool

A section for knives, axes, multi-tools and all things blades.
David
Administrator

Your EDC multi-tool

Post by David »

Do you EDC a mult-tool? If so, what do you carry?

I carry the Gerber Suspension.

First off, I like that all the tools lock into place. Secondly, I like the saw and the serrated blade. I also have the small bit set that goes with the multi-tool.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Strayz

Re: Your EDC multi-tool

Post by Strayz »

I have the same tool and I like it better than the older style that the jaws slide out. TO many pinched fingers...
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I can't carry an edc multi-tool. I have them spread out like the car/dance shoe bag/rolling book suitcase. Take them on trips. Have probably 10-12 Leatherman tools plus a few sets of the extra bits. So, there I am eating mussels at a French restaurant on the Mediterranean, using a Leatherman. The Russian next to me is trying to use a shell as his leverage tool. Yankee ingenuity.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:36 pm I have the same tool and I like it better than the older style that the jaws slide out. TO many pinched fingers...
I liked the nylon sheath the Gerber Suspension comes in but I'm not sure about it's long term durability. Also, it was a pain in the butt to put on and take off since I carry it on the left side which means I have to undue my belt almost all the way to put it on or take it off. So I ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VC ... UTF8&psc=1

I ordered it in FDE since my spare mag holder and holster are in FDE. It arrived a few days ago and I like it. I tightened up the screws on each side a bit to hold the Gerber a bit more snuggly but it is still easy enough to slide out. I like it better than the nylon sheath because it can be donned and taken off without ever undoing the belt. Makes it easy. Seems durable enough and well made. So I carry this on the left side at the 9 O'clock position with my mag holder just in front of it.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bogart

Post by Bogart »

I carry a Leatherman wave at work and a super tool at home on the weekends. I mostly just use the pliers on both of them. I have a pocket knife that I use for my cutting. I have the bit set for the super tool but never used it. It's in one of my ghb's.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:39 am
Strayz wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:36 pm I have the same tool and I like it better than the older style that the jaws slide out. TO many pinched fingers...
I liked the nylon sheath the Gerber Suspension comes in but I'm not sure about it's long term durability. Also, it was a pain in the butt to put on and take off since I carry it on the left side which means I have to undue my belt almost all the way to put it on or take it off. So I ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VC ... UTF8&psc=1

I ordered it in FDE since my spare mag holder and holster are in FDE. It arrived a few days ago and I like it. I tightened up the screws on each side a bit to hold the Gerber a bit more snuggly but it is still easy enough to slide out. I like it better than the nylon sheath because it can be donned and taken off without ever undoing the belt. Makes it easy. Seems durable enough and well made. So I carry this on the left side at the 9 O'clock position with my mag holder just in front of it.
Okay, I've been carrying this daily now for about 3 weeks. Overall, I like it. It is definitely larger than the nylon sheath the Gerber Suspension comes with but it has the advantage of clipping on and off easily without taking the belt off. Seems to be fine under a T-shirt which is pretty much standard wear in Florida. So not bad though smaller would be nice. Hard to do with kydex I suppose.

bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I don't carry one. I have multiples of the Wave for carry. Because i do international travel, when I go, subject to theft by TSA or seizure, I take a lesser model that still has a scissors function.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdc wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:13 pm I don't carry one. I have multiples of the Wave for carry. Because i do international travel, when I go, subject to theft by TSA or seizure, I take a lesser model that still has a scissors function.
I like to carry one or at least have it handy. I don't use it often but when I need one it really comes in handy. I've used my SAK Tinker far more than my Gerber Suspension but I've had the Tinker several times as long. And the Suspension has a LOT more options available.

ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

I carry a Leatherman Wave. The nylon carry case is also able to accommodate a pair of tweezers and a little tool called a Pocketwrench II. I need to get a better pair of tweezers, though. I also have one of the small SAKs on my keychain-- for those times when I really need to pick my teeth.
xxo

Post by xxo »

I have a few multitools, mostly Letherman but the one I carry the most on my belt is the Leatherman Wave. I started with the original when it first came out than switched to the “new” Wave, which was an improvement in almost every way, except that it wouldn’t fit in the old Bianchi Acu Mold sheath that Leatherman offered for the old Wave – I ended up using the brown leather old wave sheath for the new wave which just fits the new wave (I don’t like the nylon sheathes for the new wave).

When I carry the wave, I usually don’t carry a folding knife since the wave has its own one hand opening blades.

I also carried a leatherman micra on my keys for many years, got a lot of use out of it (even managed to use the micra to pick the lock on a buddy’s truck when he locked the keys inside once). It finally broke on me and I haven’t got around to sending it in for repair.