Your EDC multi-tool

A section for knives, axes, multi-tools and all things blades.
David
Administrator

Re: Your EDC multi-tool

Post by David »

xxo wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:14 pm When I carry the wave, I usually don’t carry a folding knife since the wave has its own one hand opening blades.
I find that I tend to carry the Byrd Crossbill daily when out and about since it has value as both a defensive weapon and rescue tool. For a while I wasn't carrying the Gerber Suspension or the kytex holster I pictured above. I'd have the Suspension in my vehicle and my EDC back. But again, during the summer heat I found I wasn't carrying the bag either and it stayed in the car. So I've gone back to carrying the Suspension on my belt in that holster, even though I rarely use it. I guess it's one of those items that will rarely get used but comes in very handy when needed.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
xxo

Post by xxo »

If you carry a one hand opening knife, the Victorinox Spirit is a good multitool to carry, nice and slim and not too heavy. The old Leatherman Blast is pretty good also (similar to the Rebar but with scissors instead of the serrated blade).
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I think one of the reasons I like having a multi-tool is from all the Les Stroud videos I've watched. I don't use it daily, and actually very rarely. But it just seems like one of those items that (outside of handyman work) that you'll rarely use but if you need it you'll be glad you had it. As such, I really like the Suspension because it locks the blades/tools in place. As much as I like my SAK Tinker, I just like a blade that is locked into place. I like that it has both a plain and serrated blade and also a saw and scissors.

Saf.T.Plus locking knife and tools
Ballistic nylon sheath included
12 tools
Needle nose spring-loaded pliers
Wire cutter
Plain edge knife
Serrated edge knife
Saw
Scissors
Crosspoint screwdriver
Small and medium flat drivers
Can opener
Bottle opener
Lanyard hole
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
xxo

Post by xxo »

I use my multitools everyday. The first one that I EDC'd was a full size Swisstool back in 1998, soon followed by a original Wave (lighter and had one hand opening knife blades), followed by a “new” wave whenever that one came out. I had a couple of gerbers before the swisstool, but I never found them all that useful to carry, plus they were kind of bulky. I am used to having multitools around and I use them for all sorts of daily tasks.

If you like the tinker and want a locking blade, check out the adventurer. The adventurer has the basically same tools as the tinker with a larger locking blade and no small blade. I have a old adventurer with a serrated blade and the old slide lock on the side of the handle and a serrated blade, it's bigger than the tinker but not much heavier. Victorinox seems to be phasing out the slide locks in favor of liner locks – I prefer the slide locks because they're lighter.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Thanks, I'll check out that Adventurer. Love SAK's!

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Does my Swiss Army Climber count? That's really mine.

My main real Multi-tool is the Gerber Suspension also....in my main bag.
cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

I have a pair of the original Leatherman tool from 1994.
It has gotten me out of couple of mechanical problems in last 25 years. I'm sure some of the new ones work better and have more features but my Leatherman works for my purpose.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bringing this back up to the top. Does anyone EDC a multi-tool? Do you find you have use for it often?

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I don't carry a multi-tool. Understanding that most in the forum are retired, travel and are rural, I relate my thoughts.

Travel.
With the advent of a ban on locked suitcases on airlines, the best that can be done is as follows with the assumption that a TSA inspector may steal.
Put a low end Leatherman with a scissors function in the suitcase that goes under the plane. I also like to put in a disposable folder and a Huntsman model of the Swiss Army knife.

Travel and home.
I keep a Leatherman Wave unit in the car and another unit near the front door and one in the office.

I have used the Leatherman when traveling. I would not go hiking without having a Leatherman in my possession.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I have a very nice SOG multitool that I keep in my shooting bag. I don't add things to my EDC very often due to size and weight concerns.
A multi can be invaluable when needed though.