Your EDC folding pocket knife

A section for knives, axes, multi-tools and all things blades.
David
Administrator

Your EDC folding pocket knife

Post by David »

What folding pocket knife do you EDC?

I have a couple that I normally EDC. The first is a SAK Tinker. I've had this for over 27 years and I've never had to sharpen it or do any type of repair on it.

I've used the blades and the different screwdrivers numerous times over the year. The tweezers have come in handy on more than one occasion and even the toothpick. This is on my EDC survival key chain along with my peanut lighter, TiS flashlight and pocket suspension clip.

My second is a clip blade, a Byrd Hawkbill. I carried a Spyderco Endura for about 25 years but gave it to my son as a present. That's when I started carrying the Hawkbill.

I like a molded plastic clip better than the metal one, but it's doable. If I'm not carrying that I'm carrying a Cold Steel Voyager Tanto.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Strayz

Re: Your EDC folding pocket knife

Post by Strayz »

Pocket knives, some thing that is as personal as our choices in cars and life partners.

Right now I rotate through about 2-4 blades a week. Yes I know there are going to be those that are about to loose there minds because they have one knife for everything. Good on you. I do not carry the same knife everyday because I work in a professional office environment. Carrying a ZT 562 everyday clipped to my pocket just weighs my pants down on that side. I keep all my knives clean and hair whittling sharp.

For office days I carry 2, a CRKT CEO, and a Bench made 940, or a ZT460 depending on what pants I am wearing.

For weekend or when I am not wearing office attire ZT wins the day with the ZT 562. Over built, high end blade steel. Hand full of a knife. It is a large folder and I can not recommend it enough. Warning it is not cheep and will set you back around 2 bills.

I am sure there are many people out there that will pish posh my choices and that I don not grabe the same knife every day, or I have spent a lot of cash on a pocket knife, or 10. I don't care I carry because I have carried a knife all my life. Tools are useful and I consider them a tool to use.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
ActiveAl

Post by ActiveAl »

Clipped inside my left front pocket I carry a WORKPRO folding utility knife: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JR ... UTF8&psc=1 with a hook blade: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V ... UTF8&psc=1, or a Gerber EAB folding utility knife: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016 ... UTF8&psc=1 with a normal utility blade.

I use the utility knife I carry for most cutting tasks, and save my main EDC knife (currently a Kershaw Pico: https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/pico) for work a utility blade can't handle. This way my main EDC knife stays sharp longer. My main EDC knife usually resides in a horizontal-carry belt pouch above the right pocket. From time-to-time, I also carry the Kershaw Link: https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/link.

On my keychain I carry a Spiderco LadyBug: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G ... UTF8&psc=1

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

In my expedition pocket pouch there is always a Kershaw Baby Boa. It's great for daily cutting duties.
If I'm carrying a pocket knife it's a Spyderco Yojimbo 2 or Paramilitary 2.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Almost always a Swiss Climber

Sometimes one of these:
Gerber Fastdraw Mini
Kershaw Scallion
Spyderco Native
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

Things have become very grim. The panic stricken hordes are hitting the drug stores and supermarkets. Any pretense of civility is gone when at 6:50 a.m. on a Sunday, there is already a line of people with empty shopping carts. The store doesn't open until 8 a.m.

The edc knife carry was changed yesterday to a 4 inch, fully serrated Spyderco Police knife from the simple, plain edge kershaw 3655 model with a 3.5 inch blade. The other police models are being taken from storage in the garage and made available near the front door for casual pickup .

If a person feels enough of a threat to carry a firearm, just don't leave home and join the panic stricken in every shopping center.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Benchmade Osbourne, 4" blade made of D2 steel and no spring assist. I carry it always, altho I'm breaking my own rule of no expensive pocket knives as I tend to loose/break/ lend them away never to be seen again... But this is a great knife and for some reason has been with me for a long time now- since before whatever their 2A snafu was about.
... Just a Dude...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

When I retired the shift chipped in and got me an Amazon gift card. I appreciated that quite a bit. Didn't really know what to get though. This morning I decided to get a this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B ... UTF8&psc=1

Back around 1994 I purchased a Spyderco Endura with full serrations. I carried that knife daily for 24 years. It was fantastic and I used it for all sorts of tasks. Never an issue and I never had to sharpen it. Still razor sharp. I gave it to my son a couple of years ago. Still looks like the day I bought it. It's the original with the black polymer handle and clip integrated into the handle.

I've been carrying the Byrd Hawkbill that I pictured in the original post in this thread. And it's a dandy little knife. I'll probably toss it in the car or in my sling bag as a back up. But always did like the Endura. Perfect size. So I figured I'll get this stainless steel version and make that my EDC knife. The clip can be adjusted which is nice. I like the knife to by point down in my waist band or pocket so that when I draw it my thumb is right where the hole is located for quick deployment. I prefer the full serrations so that is what I ordered. Hoping I like this one every bit as much as I did the original.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
xxo

Post by xxo »

Congratulations on your retirement!

The Endura 4's are great knives. I have a FRN plain edged Endura 4 Wave (which pops the blade open when you draw it from your pocket) in VG10 and a Pacific Salt (based on the Endura 3) full serrated in rust proof H1 steel...holds an edge a good long time, but I do sharpen it occasionally on a Sharpmaker.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Spyderco Endura comments. Have multiples, going back to the First Gulf War. I was a dealer and a USMC unit gave me a hurry up order. They used and abused them. Strange looking design. Once I stated using them, I bought variations. It became: peacetime - carry the plain edge stainless with the stainless handle. I have the partial and fully serrated variations. They are for shtf. And, I have had extensive training in knife fighting (and avoiding it). I took the Endura pile from the doorway in honor of the shut down. Now there are Police models at the door. They compensate fo rmy non ability to run anymore. However, there are a couple of Enduras in the car. Put them in Benchmade sheaths under the floor mats. Never stolen from the car.