Your EDC folding pocket knife

A section for knives, axes, multi-tools and all things blades.
David
Administrator

Re: Your EDC folding pocket knife

Post by David »

David wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:29 pm So the Spyderco Harpy is $115 pretty much anywhere I checked (or more). And I'm sure it's well worth it. For grins, I did some research into a lower cost alternative that still had good quality. In the OP of this thread I have my Byrd Hawkbill pictured and it's been a very decent+ EDC knife. So I looked more into the Byrd line which seems to be an entry level Spyderco made in China. I came across the Byrd Crossbill on Amazon discount for $33.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B ... UTF8&psc=1

As you can see, it is quite similar overall to the Spyderco Harpy. It is half-n-half on the plain blade/serrated blade which is fine. It is made from 8Cr13MoV steel which in my research is comparable with AUS 8 which is also a very good steel.

https://www.survivaltechshop.com/8cr13mov-steel/

Compared here with the Byrd Hawkbill;

So it looks to be fairly comparable in size with the Spyderco Endura I'll be receiving tomorrow. This will give me a couple of EDC options. The Crossbill would be very good as a rescue tool as well as a defensive tool. This one should arrive next week.

So I’ve had the Crossbill as my EDC pocket clip knife now for a year and a half or so, pleased to report it’s been outstanding. Particularly with the move in progress. I’ve cut carpet, cardboard, heavy packing tape etc and it’s been great. So for around $30 I have zero complaints.

The SS Endura is in my EDC sling bag as a back up.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I EDC a Leatherman Kick since I've had the new house. I pretty much use the tools as much as the blade. It replaces a SAK I've carried for years.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:15 pm
David wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:29 pm So the Spyderco Harpy is $115 pretty much anywhere I checked (or more). And I'm sure it's well worth it. For grins, I did some research into a lower cost alternative that still had good quality. In the OP of this thread I have my Byrd Hawkbill pictured and it's been a very decent+ EDC knife. So I looked more into the Byrd line which seems to be an entry level Spyderco made in China. I came across the Byrd Crossbill on Amazon discount for $33.

As you can see, it is quite similar overall to the Spyderco Harpy. It is half-n-half on the plain blade/serrated blade which is fine. It is made from 8Cr13MoV steel which in my research is comparable with AUS 8 which is also a very good steel.

So it looks to be fairly comparable in size with the Spyderco Endura I'll be receiving tomorrow. This will give me a couple of EDC options. The Crossbill would be very good as a rescue tool as well as a defensive tool. This one should arrive next week.

So I’ve had the Crossbill as my EDC pocket clip knife now for a year and a half or so, pleased to report it’s been outstanding. Particularly with the move in progress. I’ve cut carpet, cardboard, heavy packing tape etc and it’s been great. So for around $30 I have zero complaints.

The SS Endura is in my EDC sling bag as a back up.
I've put another 9 months of hard use on the Crossbill and I'm pleased to report that it continues to be going strong. Still my EDC. Continues to cut down boxes, packing tape and all the other sorts of things typical of a move. Excellent $33 knife.

:)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I have the Kershaw Cryo Folding Knife 2.75” that I purchased in January of 2019 (had to look up my purchase history on Amazon). It has ridden in my pocket just about everyday.

I have picked up some bad habits from dad and have on more than one occasion used my knife as a screwdriver, cleaning off parts on the tractor, and other task that it wasn't designed to complete. Yet it has held up well and is still going strong. Yes, due to the abuse I put it through, it does require me to sharpen it a little more often, but now I understand why so many of dad's knife blades are worn down so much.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Today/yesterday was a Kershaw Scallion
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

My comments of two years ago stand.

Response to Kershaw knives:
1. they are fine, particularly the speed safe models;
2. I picked up a number of them, cheap from Big 5 Sporting Goods and gave them as gifts to relatives;
3. I liked the 1840 model and acquired a number new and used. Discontinued and now priced around $300 each if you can find them. There was a reason that the model was discontinued. However, I have never held a defective unit. The current equivalent is the 3655. I was acquiring them used for about $20 delivered off eBay until early last year. Faster to deploy than a Spyderco. I modified the 3655 units to remove the pocket clip. Rather have it in a pocket if wearing gym shorts or walking around.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

So I've carried the Crossbill now as an EDC for over 3 years. It's seen a lot of use with the move and cutting up cardboard and packing tape among other stuff. Very impressed with it. Purchased for $33 then it's now about $41. Still well worth it.

Erich

Post by Erich »

I've got an ancient Harpy from '89 or so still hanging around; it's been back for a re-sharpening once (after years of - frankly - abuse):

This is today: Spyderco Rock Jumper and little two-blade Victorinox cheapie.

I just gave away the only Byrd I had to a friend who expressed an interest - it's this one (compared here in size to one of the variants of the Spyderco UK Pen Knife):

This particular Byrd (the Meadowlark) was a for-sure good value, although I was initially unmpressed with the choil they designed into it (felt it was too small for a normal European male hand):
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Erich wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:29 pm I've got an ancient Harpy from '89 or so still hanging around; it's been back for a re-sharpening once (after years of - frankly - abuse):

This is today: Spyderco Rock Jumper and little two-blade Victorinox cheapie.

I just gave away the only Byrd I had to a friend who expressed an interest - it's this one (compared here in size to one of the variants of the Spyderco UK Pen Knife):

This particular Byrd (the Meadowlark) was a for-sure good value, although I was initially unmpressed with the choil they designed into it (felt it was too small for a normal European male hand):
Love the look and utility of the Harpy. Very similar to the Crossbill which is why I chose it for me EDC.

Erich

Post by Erich »

I sure used it a lot (opening boxes) when I first got it. And abused it doing yard work. It's handy. :)