Leupold Yellowstone Binoculars Review

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
Mac66
Board Founder

Leupold Yellowstone Binoculars Review

Post by Mac66 »

Last summer I began looking for a pair of "good" binoculars in the $200-250 range. I ended up buying a pair of Nikon Prostaff P7s for hunting as they were (at the time) the best bang for the buck. I looked at the Leupold BX 2 in the same price range but went with the Nikons because they were $193 vs 200 at the time. The Nikons have worked very well for me, I was amazed at how well I could see in low light.

Recently on a local forum, a member mentioned that he found a pair of Leupold Yellowstone 10x40x binoculars at Costco for $149.99. Some research revealed that these are made for Costco but are the same as Leupold BX2 Acadia found at Cabelas ($250) and Amazon ($200)

I could not find them on the Costco website but have seen them in the local store. Item # 1336364

The next time I went to Costco I picked up a pair of these for my son. They are marked $179.99 in the display but you get a $30 instant discount at the cash register so $149.99+tax. I subsequently found a pair on Ebay for $129.99. The package had been opened but the binocs were new and apparently returned or pawned or something. After checking out my son's I bought the pair off of ebay.

ImageImage
The pen looking thing is actually a retractable lens brush.

..The chest harness is really nice. Has an extra zippered pocket. You could use it to hold a small pistol, my LC9 actually fits.

The harness attaches to the case and the binoculars. If you take the binocs out of the case they are still attached to the harness. You can carry them either inside or outside the case. My Nikons didn't come with a harness just a soft case. I will say that the flap on the case is secured with an odd hook and elastic band type release. It is difficult and awkward to use. Seems like it's upside down.

If needed the Leupold case is detachable from the harness though not easily. You can carry the binocs without the case using the harness as a neck strap since the side straps have nothing to attach to when the case is gone. You can also use the quick detach clips to remove the binocs from the harness to use separately but then you'd be without a neck strap. The only negative I can see with the harness is that it might not fit over heavy clothes, like while hunting in November.

I carried my Nikons on a neck strap all through the Oct bow season and Nov rifle season. I usually carried inside my jacket when walking and climbing my tree stand to keep it from bouncing off my chest but hung it outside the rest of the time. I sometimes took it off and hung it up inside my box blind which was handy.

For hiking, backpacking etc, the harness is definitely the way to go. For hunting a neck strap may be better.

The lens caps on the Leupolds are also nicer than on the Nikon. The front lens caps are attached to the binocs and the rear (near the eyes) can be attached to the harness strap and are easily moved out of the way. On the Nikons the rear caps are similar but the front/forward caps are not attached to the binocs and must be secured to the strap individually. They are awkward to manipulate.

The Leupolds are about an inch, maybe an inch and a half shorter than the Nikons. They are definitely more compact though the weight is about the same.

In terms of clarity. I looked through both side by side for about 20 minutes across a field and school grounds about 1/4 mile away. I couldn't really tell much difference between the two.

Finally, the Leupolds come with a lens pen which is a retractable soft brush. The Nikon came with a lens cloth.

When I was looking at binocs in the fall I looked at 5 or 6 different kinds including the BX2 Leupold Acadia which is what this one is except labeled differently for Costco. At the time the Acadia didn't come with the harness and was $7 more expensive ($200) through Amazon. I also looked at comparable models in the $200-250 price range from Vortex, Bushnell and a few others and picked the Nikons as the best bang for the buck. They were a joy to use throughout the fall. I have to say that I am impressed with these Leupolds. At this price they are a better bang for the buck than the Nikons.
Last edited by Mac66 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David
Administrator

Re: Leupold Yellowstone Binoculars Review

Post by David »

I saw those in Costco yesterday and thought of you and this thread :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Who needs two pairs of good binoculars??? When we were in Alaska a couple years ago, my wife and I had to pass a pair (cheap ones) back and forth. It became tedious. Same thing when we went to Hawaii, lot of things to look at there. We are going on a cruise out of Ireland next summer that stops in Iceland and Greenland, then Nova Scotia. Pretty rugged and vast landscapes. That's one of the reasons I bought the Nikons but these were a good deal so a good excuse to buy another pair.
Mac66
Board Founder

Update report

Post by Mac66 »

Since im sitting out in my deer blind doing nothing i thought i would update this post.

Been about a year since I bought the Nikon binoculars and about 10 months with the Leopolds.

The cruise out of Ireland was canceled due to the virus but have spent a lot of time scouting my property for deer. Been switching off between the Leopold and Nikon.

After spending hour upon hour watching across the food plot I like the Nikons a little bit better. They are just a bit clearer in low light.

However, I like the Leopold package better i.e, case and chest harness, lens caps, lens pen etc. They are real handy to carry.

So once again it's a toss up. I can use either.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

It's funny you brought this thread back up. I've been thinking that I need a good pair (or find the pair I have somewhere lol) so that when we move and I'm in the back yard I can make good use of them. I figure I'll have up to about a .75 mile view at the longest point.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

I am looking for some good glass now that my issues have all shaken out and the old pair left with the Ex. (Decent trade to bad she got a bit more than just that.)

I was looking at the Nikon's and possibly the Vortex as I have a few cabela's coupons for $50 from here and there. I will have to see if Costco has them at my local store.

Question. Do they have a tripod thread mount?
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Strayz wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:41 pm I am looking for some good glass now that my issues have all shaken out and the old pair left with the Ex. (Decent trade to bad she got a bit more than just that.)

I was looking at the Nikon's and possibly the Vortex as I have a few cabela's coupons for $50 from here and there. I will have to see if Costco has them at my local store.

Question. Do they have a tripod thread mount?
Neither the Leupolds orNikons have a tripod mount
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

1. look up the model # and manufacturer on Amazon. Amazon has generalized specs and then a button for additional specifications. There is also a capability on amazon to ask a specific question about a specific model.
2. write the manufacturer with the model #
3. Warning - sometimes the big box store will purportedly have the same model that you read about in the literature. My experience on a couple of times, was to compare the quality of my same model glass purchased outside the big box store with the glass in the same model in (I won't say the name).
4. I own about 40 pair of binos and multiple tripods. I had the bug at one time.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Since bd mentioned getting new binocs in another thread I thought I would update this one since it got me thinking about binocs again.

It's been three years since my last post.

We went to Ireland, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia last August '22. I was going to take both pairs of binocs but since we were taking a camera with a telephoto lens I decided to just take the Nikon's instead. Our first stop was Ireland and I used the Nikons every day through out our two weeks there. Very well used and appreciated. The scenery in Ireland is spectacular.

Of course the same thing can be said for Iceland, Greenland, NF & NS. Not to mention using them on the ship at sea to spot icebergs, whales, islands, glaciers, scan coast lines etc. The Nikons worked very well.

Here are a few pics of what we saw through our binoculars....

Ireland

Iceland

Newfoundland (Where Marconi sent the first radio message)
Last edited by Mac66 on Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Beautiful pictures