PCC ammunition selection

A section to discuss firearms ballistics (as well as air rifles and other types of projectiles).
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: PCC ammunition selection

Post by Ronin.45 »

syntaxerrorsix wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:41 pm
Bob wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:16 am I am really surprised 147 +p does not break 1000fps out of 16" barrel....

There is very little gain going from a pistol length barrel to an 18" barrel. It just doesn't matter that much with 9mm.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

You're right, it's usually only a 10-15% velocity increase, but that's nothing to sneeze at. That relatively mild bump can increase muzzle energy by 30-40%
David
Administrator

Post by David »

And it depends on the study and also the fact that chronographs can yield different results due to various factors. I've seen testing that yielded a result of over 300 fps going from a Glock 19 to a 16 inch PCC with a 115g round. That was around a 25% increase in velocity. The key is choosing a bullet that will still operate as designed despite the velocity gain.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:16 am I am really surprised 147 +p does not break 1000fps out of 16" barrel....

There is very little gain going from a pistol length barrel to an 18" barrel. It just doesn't matter that much with 9mm.

I was kinda surprised about that as well, but I can see it having little or no gain overall. So with a 147 round the benefits would simply be increased accuracy at longer range.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

well, fortunately my PCC is .357
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

David wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:32 pm

I was kinda surprised about that as well, but I can see it having little or no gain overall. So with a 147 round the benefits would simply be increased accuracy at longer range.
Accuracy and range are why I like PCC, that and ammo compatibility.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I picked up a box of Geco 115g JHP in an ammo trade yesterday. Found a video discussion it's velocity and gel results.

From a 3.5 inch barrel pistol it averaged 1040 fps and got lousy expansion and over-penetration. From a 4.5 inch barrel it averaged 1153 fps. Expansion was better but not great and penetration was great but not excessive. From a 7 inch barrel it averaged 1248 fps and got excellent expansion and good penetration (IIRC it got 15+inches of penetration).

So considering that there will be a point of diminishing return, and considering other 115's out of a 16 inch barrel I'm going to postulate that out of the Sub 2K or other similar length PCC that it may get upwards, or even exceed 1350 fps and the expansion should still be very good/excellent with sufficient penetration.

Thinking about using this in my Sub 2K's.

Thoughts welcome.