Spring is coming early

The place to gather and chat about any and all topics not covered elsewhere on the board.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Spring is coming early

Post by Bmyers »

Grass is shooting up, trees are budding, bugs are coming out. Have to say, overall our winter wasn't bad. Although, last night we had tornados and hail, thankfully, we were missed. Several friends had windshields taken out of their car by the hail and family leaving about 20 minutes north of us out of power due to a tornado hitting the substation.

Guess it might be an interesting Spring if this is an indication on how it will be.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Spring is coming early

Post by tom mac »

Yes it is....
Just got the seeds in the ground for some beans and some prev started tomatoes
It was 70 yesterday .

Still holding on the potted fig trees... looks like some just below 32 temps coming and don't want the new leaves to get frozen. ( like last year )
You can't fix stupid !
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We are still discussing what to do with the garden this year. The wife is still unable to drive and can only walk short distances. Physical therapy is helping, but a slow process.

She loves to garden and I help her, but this year she is really discouraged, so not sure what we will plant. I know I will plant some carrots, because I like fresh carrots in my roast.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

How about potted plants? Many do well if potted ( not all ) but I have done tomatoes, beans, peppers all growing on my deck trellis

Even tried the upside down tomatoes from hanging baskets ( worked fairly well )
You can't fix stupid !
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We do some potted plants. Our pepper plants and green beans are in pots.

We have never tried the upside tomato plants, might give that a try.

Question, have you had any luck growing onions? We have tried four years in a row and can't grow a decent onion. We have tried from seeds and from bulbs. We grow great looking plants, but when you go to harvest, the bulbs are small. Looking for any suggestions.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Bmyers wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:51 am have you had any luck growing onions? We have tried four years in a row and can't grow a decent onion. We have tried from seeds and from bulbs. We grow great looking plants, but when you go to harvest, the bulbs are small. Looking for any suggestions.
Not onions haven't tried... but have Garlic. Have tried to grow them for about same time... end up with a bulb of 1"
Not good results.
I know it can be done but no luck here...
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

We had a a couple stints of 50 & 60 degree weather since Feb but it's been back in the 20s & 30s for the last week or so. Got 3" of snow up at the woods house and snow flurries and a dusting just about every day in the past week at home. The birds and plants are confused.
Last edited by Mac66 on Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

We had a brief false spring here. A week or so of 60's and beautiful. It's been snowing again this week.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

it's 28 up here right now... hopefully most of the plants in the ground will be fine.
Potted fig trees still in garage ( never goes below 45 )
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Spring in MIchigan also known as second winter. Mid 20's today 5" of snow at home in the burbs, 7"+ up at the woods house.