Laser training

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Mac66
Board Founder

Laser training

Post by Mac66 »

I seem to remember someone here mentioning using a laser training thingy to practice. At the Outdoorama yesterday which I was working at the MGO booth. Things got slow close to closing time so I walked around and found a guy selling them. Basically it's a bullet size insert into the chamber that triggers when hit by the striker/firing pin. I played around with it and it was pretty fun. The whole kit came with a target, stand to hold your cell phone to record hits through their app. I ended up buying one.

So today I drove across the state to see my new grandson and I was telling my son about it. He had discovered them a while ago and brought his out. I bought a 9mm. he had both a 9 & 45. Turns out you can buy just the inserts on amazon for less than $20/ea. at least the 45. The one I bought is Sure Shot but amazon has the same thing under various other names. Now thinking of getting a 380 to use in my LCP and for my wife's S&W EZ.

With a striker fired pistol you have to reset the trigger after each pull. I dug out my Taurus G3c which has a second strike trigger. It worked real good with the G3c and my original Ruger LC9 which is a double action.. I'm probably going to order a 45 off of amazon to use with my Ruger P97 which is also a double action.

The kit I bought (Sure Shot) included a tri-pod cell phone stand, target and an app for recording hits with different variations.
Last edited by Mac66 on Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Laser training

Post by Mac66 »

After playing with it last night I've found some good and bad things with the laser kit.

The good...
Kind of fun
Hits are easy
It has a shot timer. I was drawing, firing, hitting the target from 7 yards in about 2-2.5 seconds at the beginning. After doing it awhile I got it down to just under 1 second by point shooting.

The bad...
Lacks recoil. It helps with trigger pull and sight alignment but not sure how much benefit it is without recoil.