Snowpocolypse

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Mac66
Board Founder

Snowpocolypse

Post by Mac66 »

Michigan got slammed with snow yesterday and more today

Had to run up to the woods house to take a load of crates. That area got hit with 9 inches of snow on Wednesday but none in SE Mich. They were predicting more snow on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We intended to go up Friday, deliver the crates, stay the night then go down to see my new grandson. He lives on the west side of Michigan.

Roads were clear and dry going up and I was able to get through the 10" of snow in the driveway up to the pole barn in 4 wheel drive. I stashed the trailer/crates in the barn and used the tractor to clear the drive way. About 2:30 it started to snow. Snow was predicted to start around 4 pm. We decided to pack up and head south rather than try to dig out again the next day.

It normally takes 2:45 to get home. Despite the light snow we had smooth sailing until we got about an hour out. It really started snowing hard and it took another 2.5 hours to go the last 55 miles. I was driving my truck in 4 wheel drive the last couple hours. Ended up only getting 3-4" but it all came down heavy during Friday rush hour.

Talked to my brother who lives up north not far from my woods house. They got another 11" last night and a neighbor down the road from my house reported 14". Wasn't fun driving but I'm glad we came home yesterday rather than waiting for today.

My son said they got 8" yesterday in Grand Rapids and are expecting another 8" this evening. They live about 40 miles east of Lake Michigan so get a lot of lake effect snow. My other son who lives in Chicago reports they got about 8" as well.

We are heading driving to Florida a week from tomorrow. Hopefully no more snow storms for awhile.
Bob
Board Founder

Re: Snowpocolypse

Post by Bob »

It hasn't snowed here since...

It hasn't snowed here.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

We were going to drive to Grand Rapids (west side of the state) today to see my new grandson but the west side is still getting hammered. Not to mention the wind and blowing snow across the freeway getting there caused a 100+ car pile up. So....NOPE! Not to mention it is 3 degrees this morning.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Think we got all of 12" total last year... didn't even bring out the snowblower
Long Island misses a lot of it
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:19 pm It hasn't snowed here since...

It hasn't snowed here.
True enough. North Florida will occasionally get a light dusting of snow but yeah, overall...'what's all that white stuff on the ground'?

If there were ever a freak of nature and Florida actually got snow it would shut the place down. We don't have the equipment/infrastructure to handle real snow like you folks up north.

We have had some 'cold' days though, but nothing of course like what you guys have gotten. We've been down in the 40's a few times this winter but I don't think our area has seen 30's yet. Farther north Florida has though. We have had lots of rain which is unusual but welcome for winter in Central Florida.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

It is -3 this morning with a strong wind. I think they said wind chill is -15
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Bob wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:19 pm It hasn't snowed here since...

It hasn't snowed here.

It's been cold windy and dismal/rainy for a while now, even the snowbirds are complaining.
... Just a Dude...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news ... 983060007/

Snow has fallen in Homestead and Miami Beach.

No, we're not kidding.

On Jan. 19, 1977, snow fell in South Florida for the first time in recorded history, according to the National Weather Service.

The snow was the result of a combination precipitation associated with an upper level trough that followed a strong Arctic cold front into the state.

Snow was seen across Southeast Florida as far south as Homestead and even on Miami Beach. Weather observers also reported snow in West Palm Beach, LaBelle, Hollywood, and Royal Palm Ranger Station in deep South Miami-Dade County.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

well we got snow.... about 1"
But it will rain later today so most will be gone or plain ice tonite as it's going to be in the 20s
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

We got another 2" in SE Mich last night. Not sure what they got up north.