What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2024?

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2024?

Post by David »

As with previous years; It's a brand new year. What are your goals?

Putting this out there now, this may be a volatile year....
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2024?

Post by tom mac »

Going to do a winter check on all my equipment/food stocks. Prob next month.

Have a feeling the PRC going into Taiwan before Binden is out. Not an all out war issue but predicting more supply shipping shortages coming.
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

My wife loves to shop on Market Place for stuff. Right now she's all about finding stuff that will work for my son's upcoming wedding. Saturday she saw a dessert tray she wanted for the dessert table so off we went. The people were actually having a large garage sale as well. Garage sales are a great way to find stuff!

So while my wife was busy going through every box of stuff they had I zero'd in on a couple of Plano boxes. One was a Plano Guide Series 4-By Rack System and the other a 3-drawer. The 4-drawer is like $70. They were asking $1 each! So needless to say I jumped on them like a hungry cat on a mouse :lol:

So I set up the 4-drawer yesterday with my batteries and chargers. This allowed me to consolidate everything into one spot for convenience. No sure what purpose I'll assign the smaller 3-drawer yet? Maybe save it for game stuff like dice and minis?

I also bought a 'tactical' vest they had lying under a table. It's an Airsoft vest but it had a lot of tacticool attachments like mag holders, holster etc. I'll detail that in a different post in a different section.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Photographed another load of gear for the boy scouts.

Humor - a slip on the item disclosed that I had put a comforter in the attic in 2006!
Good news - I had a beautiful, inexpensive full leather jacket purchased used from Goodwill a decade ago and I gave it to the maid for her husband.

Everything given away gives me more space to enjoy at home.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Over the years, I have used blood stop twice. When I travel by car or plane I always have a tourniquet and an Israeli bandage with bloodstop available. Purchased another 4 units.

I researched my fire extinguishers and had my fire service come out to recharge units, sell me another unit. I also carry a unit in the car. I am not subject to the fire department rules about recharging units so I have put a few of the smaller and older units on a shelf in the garage. They may or may not be good.

I also did something that no one ever does except myself. A relative bought a house in the hills. .. the place last serviced by public services. He got married a couple of months ago. He received a 10ABC unit along with other useful items . . . a flashlight for every room, batteries, chargers.

I now have a bunch of rechargeable batteries, but no fire extinguisher for the same. I will be researching the extinguisher. Just did the research . It would be a class B fire. A dry chemical ABC extinguisher would work on a small battery. It would not work on a car. You need about 4000 gallons of water and the fire will keep re-igniting over a period of about 12 hours.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Prob not practical, but I was impress with one home owner in a mountain area that set up ( self designed ) a roof mounted sprinkler system working off home depot type equipment and his water storage system.... his idea was to be able to at least wet all down if a fire was in area.
I'll see if I can find the plans again.

like this company ( they even sell similar on amazon )
https://roofsaversprinklers.com/
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Many years ago I put a sprinkler system on the house and the garage. Inverted sprinkler system. Originally, I was told that it was possible to do a remote turn-on/turn-off system by telephone. When push came to shove, that person disappeared and I did a manual turn-on/turn-off system and showed a neighbor how to operate it.

I also put on a fire retardant roof in 2008.

A fire does not have to touch a house. This is what I understand happens. The heat will blow out windows long before a fire touches a house. Moreover, the fire gets under the eaves of the house. The concept of a sprinkler system is that the heat is absorbed by a shower of water so that the house does not ignite.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I'm done inventorying my ammo stash. Now going though my guns, mags and other equipment. I put hanging tags listing the dates when I've shot/sighted and/or inventoried my guns. Except for my hunting rifles some of my plinkers and EDC pistols, most of them go back to 2014 as the last time I inventoried them.
Last edited by Mac66 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We have started some herbs and waiting for the weather to make up its mind before I plant anything outside.

We did go through the medicine cabinet, disposed of some old medicine, added some antibiotic cream and some bite cream for when we have all the nieces over. I never would of thought that our house would of become the "in" place to come and hanging out at. They love spending time with their aunt (actually grand-aunt for half of them).
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I had forgotten that I plowed all the food plots last weekend, I had moved a pile of dirt for a neighbor with my tractor and used the disk/plow on the back for ballast (to counter the weight of the dirt in the front bucket). When I got back to my house I said "what the heck, may as well plow while I have everything setup and ready". It's too early to plant but the soil is prepped and now ready to go.