Prep for Exposure: The Overlooked Killer

Discussions on the basic necessities of life. There are several sub-forums available for specific topics.
David
Administrator

Prep for Exposure: The Overlooked Killer

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Prep for Exposure: The Overlooked Killer

Post by Bmyers »

You guys down south think long pants is prepping for cold weather, which at times I'm a little envious.

Already made the switch over in the vehicles. Two blankets, a sleeping bag, insulated coveralls, and an extra coat.

2006 and was the year that changed our preparations for us. (Link to article about the storm from NOAA below)

https://www.weather.gov/media/lsx/Events/11_30_2006.pdf

We had a strong set of thunderstorms that came through in July and took out our power for a week. That is when we purchased our first generator. From that summer lesson, we decided we didn't want to get caught flat footed again. We mounted an indoor wall gas heater that needed no electricity. We bought a couple of extra sleeping bags, and made sure we candles, flashlights, batteries, etc. not realizing that winter we would have a major ice storm.

Yet, we were much better prepared. We stayed warm in the house for the three and half days we had no power. Checked on the neighbors and family to make sure they were doing okay.

Learned more from that incident and we have made changes and improvements ever since. Each storm is easier to handle and we are better prepared.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:43 pm You guys down south think long pants is prepping for cold weather, which at times I'm a little envious.
True :lol:

It's kind of funny, my wife and I have reversed rolls this year. In the past it could be the dead of winter and I'm fine with a sheet. Now I have a sheet, blanket, comforter, pillow on each side and my cat sleeping on my lap and she's the one with just a sheet, lol.
Bmyers wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:43 pm That is when we purchased our first generator.
That's really just a smart prep all the way around. I had planned to get one before now but my son's upcoming wedding diverted a lot of discretionary funds. After next February though I have it in mind to have a Generac installed before the next storm season.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I'm right there with you. I use to be the one walking around hot all the time. Now, I like my blanky and my wife is screaming at me to turn the furnace down.

The joys of getting older.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I bought a portable generator in preparation of Y2K. Have used it maybe 3 times since then. We did have a 5 day power outage around 2012 but it was in the summer. Basically just ran the gen a couple hours a day to keep the refrigerator cool.

As for heat we have 3 kerosene heaters . One goes in the basement to keep pipes from freezing. One goes in the family room/kitchen or in the living room if we have a fire going in the fireplace. One goes in the hallway at the other end of the house. I also have couple Buddy heaters. They are good for small spaces but not for heating a house.

We also have 2 or 3 Coleman lanterns that run on white gas. They not only provide light but heat as well. We did have a power outage one winter that went for 2 days. The heaters & lanterns and fireplace kept the house cozy until the power came back on.

Our woods house runs on propane. I have 500 gallon tank. The water heater is electric but the furnace and stove are propane. I also have a propane generator hooked up. When fired up it will run the furnace, well pump, stove and main circuit. It will not run the water heater.

That propane tank lasted 2 years before it got down to about 15%. Granted we don't live there full time but I've been spending 4-5 days a week there since April.

As for heat/cooling...in the summer time the house stays very cool without using the AC. In fact we've never turned the AC except to test it after the house was built. That's even though a couple weeks this past summer when temps were in the 90s every day. I tend to keep the thermostat pretty low when I'm there in cool weather since I'm in and out often and wear layers and we have a pretty good fireplace that keeps things toasty. At night I turn it down even lower. And of course when I'm not there it is set at about 50'F.

As we transition to the woods house full time (hopefully in 2024) The kero heaters will be moved and I'm debating setting up solar. Because our pole barn was erected a couple years after the house I didn't plan for power to it from the main pole. It's in a location were it would be difficult to run a line to it. I'm thinking a couple 100 watt solar panels would provide enough power to light it and run some tools. When we move it will be a work in progress to get everything where we need it to be.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Kelley's Country Life has been developing his solar system and is setting it up to power his new barn. HE has several videos that might be useful for you to give you some ideas on the solar system.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq6Yax ... YBHHvaoZ8w

Also, Evan, from Country View Acres just did a video on what it cost him for his solar system.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I've looked at bunches of videos on solar. As much as I would like to be energy self sufficient and off the grid I'm not sure it is worth the expense and trouble. I don't really think I need a $20-30K system. I don't think I will live long enough to recover the cost in energy savings. Not sure the emergency use aspect offsets the costs as well. Short term can be made up with a generator. I don't think the power grid will shut down permanently. No TEOTWAWKI any time soon.

So that leaves running power to the pole barn which would cost $3-5K for basic hardwired system (lights and plugs) Or $3.5 K for a solar system depending on the size needed (probably 6-8 Kw) if I do it myself).

Advantages of going hardwired...
-I probably couldn't do it myself so I'd hire someone and just get it done.
-I'm getting old(er) having someone do it means I wouldn't have to.
Disadvantages
-Would have to get a permit
-Getting a permit would put my building under the auspices of the tax man. It's currently listed as a free standing temporary structure.

Advantages of a solar system
-Self standing, remote system for powering my pole barn
-Scalable...I could start small and expand as needed over time which also spreads the cost out.
-Could eventually/possibly tie it into the house system
Disadvantages
-I'd pretty much have to do it myself
-Probably would take a long time to get it up and running due to physical ability and learning curve.
-I'm getting older

Edited to add....
There are some tax benefits both state and federal to putting in solar. I'm in the process of exploring those as my state is really pushing it with special programs.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I use a small solar system... picked up a 2 100w panels and controller a couple years back for $150.
The biggest expense to me was batteries. I went around and picked up 2 used truck batteries ( size 48 ) that come in at about 75aHr.
Dumped and refilled the acid... they ended up at about 90% effective at a cost of little

In the time I've run the system , it runs great.... they light my shed and backyard lighting lights/decks lights (led) and give me a backup power option if ever needed for 12v items.

But you need to know what you want to power... yes it is scalable but are you thinking just lighting or power saws...

With your setup/conditions Mac, I prob opt for hard wire and later set up a generator in the building that allows a run back to the house. ( elec runs done at same time ) ( and see if able without permit ;) )
You can't fix stupid !