Farm Freedom

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Mac66
Board Founder

Farm Freedom

Post by Mac66 »

Farm Freedom is a "hobby" farm owned by my son's in laws. It is located in west Michigan

https://www.facebook.com/farmfreedommi

It is great example of a self sustaining lifestyle. Kind of the ultimate dream for someone into the prepper thing. Take a look.

Long story of how they got it up and running...but the short version is... they built a house on a couple acres of rural land. They started growing their own food. Built a barn, bought some chickens, goats, pigs, donkeys. It is pretty much self sustaining now. They also grow and sell flowers.

They get eggs and meat from the chickens, milk from the goats, meat from the pigs. The donkeys are rescue donkeys and are the alert system to keep the varmints away from the chickens.

So my new grandson will have a cool place to go when he grows up in addition to my house in the woods. I would love to have animals and gardens but it takes constant attention and you are stuck there most of the time.
David
Administrator

Re: Farm Freedom

Post by David »

Really nice! Lot of work but also a lot of long term payoff as well.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:18 pm Really nice! Lot of work but also a lot of long term payoff as well.
They are starting to get ahead of the game. They've met like minded others in the area and exchange info and resources. They sell eggs, flowers and vegetables so are bringing in a little income. The were learning how to butcher their animals (chickens and pigs) this summer. They are making a niche for themselves.

They are doing exactly what I would have liked to do if I hadn't gone to the woods. They are being pretty much self sufficient. I think they were talking about going solar for power in the future. Something I've also been thinking about for the woods house.

And finally I think the real benefit is they are teaching that lifestye to their daughter and my son. Their new baby will grow up exposed to that lifestyle. My son is already talking about building a house and small farm out in the country.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

That is nice. They are building wonderful memories and making it where they don't have to rely as much on outside resources.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

One of the things they're talking about is solar or perhaps a windmill. I mentioned to them that the Amish near me use windmills to pump water and that some modern farmers have converted them to produce electricity. We're talking about the smaller multi bladed ones you used to see on farms. Not the giant bladed ones.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Update:

For some reason both their goats, Abe and George died. They are not sure why. They are now looking at getting a cow to milk.

And they have maple trees on their property that they tap to make syrup. My son has been helping them and brought us some. WOW! haven't had real maple syrup in some time.

Bought some taps and buckets and am going to tap our maple trees next year. It's kind of too late in the season and I can't really tell which are maple trees in my woods without the leaves being on them. I post a write up when I do it next year.

Probably have hundreds of maple but the majority of trees on my property are Aspen aka poplar and Oak with various kinds of pine, cedar, birch, hemlock mixed in.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

The backyard is hilly, part of a standard urban lot. Prior to 1988, it was planted wild flowers. Afterwards, a portion was a raised garden. When my son developed an interest in tropical trees, I had them hauled in and planted. Today, there are one each of pomegranate, lime, chevomoya, Santa Rosa plum, tangerine, 4 different guavas, 2 Washington Navels, 2 lemon, 2 avocado. As of today, I have 18 tomato plants in very large black plastic containers in the backyard as well.

I am down to one orchid plant. If I remember, I will pick up another. My dad used to raise orchids and I do so today.