First Florida storm for 2023

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

First Florida storm for 2023

Post by David »

Well we've got TS Adalia coming up through the Gulf in the next few days. Right now Bob, Gene and I are on the bottom edge of the cone of uncertainty. Hopefully it will remain that way but we'll have to monitor it closely as they update the track.

Wife and I going out to pick up prescriptions in a bit. May pick up some extra water if available. If not, we'll just fill a tub and some containers jic.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Re: First Florida storm for 2023

Post by Bob »

Scrips good for a couple of weeks.

Propane 1 full 1 partial
Batteries/Flashlights - of course
Food water etc...all good.

Being prepped is boring, but comforting.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:08 pm Being prepped is boring, but comforting.
Words of wisdom!

We're on gas as far as stoves so that shouldn't be an issue. Plenty of canned food and such. Plenty of water but we picked up 5 additional cases anyway.

I'll be charging some of the rechargeable batteries ahead of time and we have plenty of regular non-rechargeable. And of course flashlights aren't an issue for a flashoholic, lol.

:lol:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

You all stay safe.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Was just watching a news blip and it sounds like the Idalia is being upgraded to a major hurricane. Guess Wednesday will be an interesting day.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:46 am Was just watching a news blip and it sounds like the Idalia is being upgraded to a major hurricane. Guess Wednesday will be an interesting day.
Yep, not unusual. Started off forecast for Cat 1 and now it's Cat 3 at landfall. Hopefully it won't go higher. The 11am advisory has shifted the center of the cone slightly west which is good for Bob, Gene and I. We'll still get winds and rain being on the east side of the storm.

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Hopefully you all make it through the storm with minimal excitement.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

The storm continues to track to the west which is good news for Gene, Bob and I. We'll still get some rain and wind as we're on the east side of the storm, but the farther west it tracks the less we'll feel it. We are no longer anywhere near the cone of uncertainty.

Although folks are still in the path, the major populations centers aren't. Although Tallahassee may feel it a bit. But being more inland it will be much less than the coast.

Still something to keep an eye on.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

11pm advisory has come out and it's forecast to make landfall as a Cat 4 and possibly a Cat 5. If so, it will still be a Cat 4 when it get up into Georgia and then rapidly going down to a Cat 1 around Savannah then down to a TS when it gets out into the Atlantic.

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Was just reading on Fox that it is Cat 4. Glad that the worse is missing you all.

Hurricane Idalia is threatening Florida as an "catastrophic" Category 4 storm with winds gusting over 130 mph, the National Hurricane Center said early Wednesday morning.

https://www.foxnews.com/weather/hurrica ... ry-4-storm