Ruptured bicep tendon

Preparedness starts with good health. Section for all things health and exercise related. Including discussions of current events in the world of health and medicine.
Mac66
Board Founder

Ruptured bicep tendon

Post by Mac66 »

So...a week ago Saturday I was cutting and moving logs. I had to get log out of a depression in the ground up an embankment so I picked up one end of the 12' long log and walked it up until it was almost straight up...sharp pain, a pop and a searing shooting pain down from my left shoulder to my bicep.

Just got home yesterday from being at the woods house for 10 days.
Long story short I learned today from the orthopedic surgeon that I ruptured the bicep tendon in my shoulder. Nothing really that can be done unless I also tore the rotator cuff. So I'm being sent to have an MRI to make sure but Doc doesn't think it is torn.

As long as I don't use my left arm very much I'm not in much pain except for certain positions like straight up, in a curl or carrying anything. Doc said it will heal or at least stop hurting in about a month.

It is a painful at times and very inconvenient i.e., slowing down getting my woods house ready for my daughter's wedding in mid Sept but I can work around it. It's always something :(
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Ruptured bicep tendon

Post by Bmyers »

Sorry to hear about your injury. Nothing like an injury to slow a project down.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:27 am Sorry to hear about your injury. Nothing like an injury to slow a project down.
Just got to remember to work smarter, not harder. Use the tractor for lifting/dragging logs not my arms.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Yep, but my mind thinks I'm still in my 20s and body reminds me that was decades ago.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Pretty much over the pain. still have some restrictive movement and it hurts to curl stuff but it is what it is, Just going to have to get used to it. No way to fix it.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

So if I'm understanding correctly you have reached your maximum improvement?

I find it interesting how results vary so greatly between individuals. We have three people here at work that all had torn meniscus, all underwent surgery. Two of the three are back to normal without any issues. The third is struggling along and has reached maximum improvement.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Apparently if a bicep tendon ruptures at the elbow it can be repaired. My son did that when he was a wrestler in high school. If it ruptures at the shoulder it's can't be or is not worth the effort/expense to have it fixed.

It's now been two months since I tore it. While it doesn't hurt all the time, it does remind me every day and hurts to carry and do stuff with my elbow bent. Lost probably 80% of the strength in that arm. Fortunately it's my left arm and I'm right handed.

My shoulder still hurts a lot. It was suggested by the ortho surgeon that I could have torn the rotator cuff as well which requires surgery. I didn't think so at the time but the shoulder pain continues and is debilitating at times so I got a script for an MRI in couple weeks. So we'll see.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

best....
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I missed this somehow, very sorry this has happened Mac :cry:

Hoping that something can be done to correct it?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:35 pm I missed this somehow, very sorry this has happened Mac :cry:

Hoping that something can be done to correct it?
Nothing can done for the bicep. Rotator cuff can be repaired surgically. I'm hoping not to have to go under the knife. MRI will tell me if.