Brush hog Disk harrow

Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Brush hog and disc harrow

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:48 am Yes, Kubota Grand L3560.
I need a bigger tractor :lol:

In other news...I brush hogged a piece of land about 100 yards long x 20 yards wide which the power company cleared 25 years ago to run lines back to the cabin. It was a strip of unused land. I cut it, sprayed it with defoliant and plowed it up to make another food plot. I think rye and clover are going in there.

Been working on 2 other areas as well as the big plot in the back. One is about 30 yards square and will be a kill plot. It currently has a big dead tree right in the middle that needs to come down. The other is a strip along the road. It's kind of a triangle that's maybe 30 yards at the wide end and 100 yards long but it gets narrow fast. It's just to draw more deer to the property. Maybe use it for bow.

I have 2 other spots I'd like to clear but probably won't get to them until next year.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I know the cab has been a big blessing, which I have to thank my wife for that. I wasn't going to get a cab, but she knows I have bad sinus issues. The cab lets me work through all the pollen and the dust without any problems. I change out the cabin filter once a year and it keeps my cab nice and pollen/dust free.

I will be heading out tomorrow to do some mowing on four acres at the farm. I also have to move some equipment around so my nephew has room to park the trailer he is trying to buy on Sunday. He is hoping to get a GN 32' x 102" flatbed trailer. I told him I thought that was a little small and he may need to look for a bigger one to pull behind his F450.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I mowed on Saturday or should I say I stirred the dust up. Thankfully, we finally got a good rain on Sunday. We are only about 6 inches behind or normal rainfall going into our dry time. Hopefully these weather guessers are right and we will have a wet summer than normal. So far, they have missed it big time.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

It rained pretty much from Sat evening until this morning. Badly needed. I got a lot done since last wednesday but I had to come home today. Going back up on Thursday, arraigned to look at and hopefuly pick up/buy a used 3 pt roto tiller next Sunday. Need the RT for the yard.

We've been tearing up the yard while excavating for the deck we're building. Decided to build a deck instead of patio. About a $20K difference in price.

The "lawn" is pretty much bare ground with lots of holes and ruts in in from the house construction. I've been spreading the dirt from the deck site (25x25', 9" deep) to level/smooth out the yard. Then I'm going to rototill it and plant rye and/or clover for a lawn. Been clearing brush out for trails and for small kill plots as well. Going to RT those instead of using the disc harrow.
Last edited by Mac66 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

A tiller is on my list of attachments I would like to get. The last two used ones I looked at were really rough and they wanted top dollar. So, I'm still searching.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:04 am A tiller is on my list of attachments I would like to get. The last two used ones I looked at were really rough and they wanted top dollar. So, I'm still searching.
Just missed out on a used one for $800 this weekend. About a 15 year old one but in good shape. Posted on facebook marketplace and I called within 20 mins and it was sold.

I've had another one lined up for several weeks but the guy selling it is really slow in responding to messages and it's 2 hours away from home, and 2 hours out of the way from the woods house. We've had issues with finding a time to meet.

He's asking $1200, new ones go for $1800-2000. This particular one is sized for my 25hp tractor. Finding one not too big or too small is always an issue. I had pretty much decided to buy a new one until I saw it. Did some research and it is about 5 years old and a good brand. I'll try and talk him down, but it's a decent deal as is and I have gun money to pay for it.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I see your luck is like mine most of the time, just missing out on the deals. I'm hoping this fall that I will come across a deal as those that decided to get out of gardening start liquidating their products. I would like a 66 inch, but will take anything from a 60" to 72" tiller. I have my wife watching the online post for a deal locally to get one. Yet, since planting season is basically over for this one, I'm in no rush since I have several months before it will be needed.

Who knows, maybe Santa will decide I've been a good boy and one will show up under the tree.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

The rototiller deal fell through. I drove 2 hours out of my way to get it. Called ahead and everything. When I got there the guys said "oh, I sold that last week".
"So why did you tell me 2 hours ago that you still had it?" I said.
"I forgot" says he.
ME: "Why is it still up on facebook marketplace?
HE: "I don't know how to take it down"
ME: "You're a f...king idiot"

I sold a couple more guns recently so I have enough in my gun fund to buy a new one. In the mean time I'll probably just rent one next week to do the lawn and small food plots then keep my eye open for a good used one though FB Marketplace and Craigs list are driving me insane.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I called the dealer I bought my trailer from and they have a 60" one in stock made by Ironcraft. Made in the US (Tennesee) supposedly. Pretty much the same as the Tarter (Family, Farm & Home), King Kutter (Rural King) and Countyline from Tractor Supply but a bit less expensive. Benefit is that I bought the tractor at the dealer where I live and it was delivered by their other dealer near where my woods house is. So I have support from either place.

Also found a place selling Chinese made tillers for about $500 cheaper than comparable ones from above. The person contracted directly with the factory and are importing them himself. Supposed to be "just as good as" the name brand ones. They imply that all rototillers, while advertised as being manufactured in the US are built in the US but has Chinese or Indian parts, specifically the gear boxes. Parts, warranty and dealer support are a concern however. I'm inclined with just going new with the dealer I bought my tractor from.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I think Italy makes rototillers, but in general it seems most of the gear boxes for them come from either China or Twain. I'm surprised that South Korea doesn't make them, but they may and I just haven't come across them yet.