Brush hog Disk harrow

Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Brush hog and disc harrow

Post by Bmyers »

Looks nice and it appears to have done a good job for you. Makes me jealous. All I did this weekend was stir dirt with the mower.
dirty tractor small.jpg
dirty tractor small.jpg (402.93 KiB) Viewed 29621 times
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

looks familiar. My tractor was so dirty/dusty the over heat alarm went off. Raised the hood and the screen over the radiator was packed solid with dust. I cleaned it off, let it cool and finished. When I got back to the house I was covered from head to toe as well. Had to drop my outer clothes outside and wash my face, arms/hands before my wife would let me in.

I will say one thing about the rototiller. It makes a good counter weight for my bucket. Been moving some rocks, logs and buckets of sand/dirt which will pick the rear end up off the ground without it. With it as ballast I'm good to go. Been thinking about filling/loading the rear tires but don't need to now.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I have my rear tires loaded, but initially when we started working on the farm, most of the work was loader work. After 10 years of no maintenance besides the fields, the farm had become really overgrown. Now, the farm looks more like when grandpa and grandma lived there minus all the animals (the had chickens, pigs, and cows).

Did you get the UL or the UM model?
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:01 am I have my rear tires loaded, but initially when we started working on the farm, most of the work was loader work. After 10 years of no maintenance besides the fields, the farm had become really overgrown. Now, the farm looks more like when grandpa and grandma lived there minus all the animals (the had chickens, pigs, and cows).

Did you get the UL or the UM model?
UL...the specs between the UM and UL are nearly identical. 100lb difference in weight. It's the one the dealer recommended. Looking at the price difference from my dealer +$120 difference I think I would have gotten the UM if I'd been paying attention.

On the other hand, it seems to work well. It tore up virgin soil like a champ and my big food plot that hadn't been tilled in 2 years. So I guess the UL was good enough.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Thanks. I was talking with the wife and suggested when bonus time came around, maybe a rototiller should be on the list of items. For some reason she thinks kitchen cabinets should be on the list. Our cabinets work just fine, so I don't know why we need 'new' ones.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:07 am Thanks. I was talking with the wife and suggested when bonus time came around, maybe a rototiller should be on the list of items. For some reason she thinks kitchen cabinets should be on the list. Our cabinets work just fine, so I don't know why we need 'new' ones.
Never understood the thing about kitchen cabinets. If they work why change them? When we built the new house my wife wanted to change the brand new cabinets. ???

Anyway...I limed the fields today. Needed 2 tons of lime.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We got two inches of rain over the weekend. Nephew and I went out to the farm and trimmed trees, weed eated, did battle with three different wasp nest, and mowed.

I was surprised how many wasp we had. Sent the nephew to go sit in the truck since he is highly allergic. I got two of the three nest down and destroyed. I have one more that I need to get, but they were getting fairly angry so I decided to quit while I was ahead.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Got the big food plot done over the last couple days. Planted and fertilized.

Got the other two fertilized though I just planted on Saturday last week and they were already growing as of last Thursday. I limed one but left the other one alone. Didn't seem to make any difference...yet.

still have to finish clearing the small kill plot. Was planning on working on it today but it's been raining hard all day.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Finished clearing the small kill plot today. Will rototill it and plant it at the end of the week.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Since the two inch rain, we have dried out again. Storms went north and south of us, which was great for others, but no need to mow here. Hopefully this coming weekend we will get some rain.