Great Smokey Mountain National Park

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Great Smokey Mountain National Park

Post by tom mac »

Mac66 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:52 pm
We also saw some bears. One crossed the road right in front of us while driving in the park and we saw 3 bears and 4 deer in Cades Cove.

First time since forever my knee didn't hurt going down hill.
Wondering if you carry in the Park?... That's one of the main reasons I starting carrying the G20/3 due to bears in the Spring.
Came across bears many times hiking on the AT and side trails.

Also good re the knee... sounds like it's coming along fine.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Great Smokey Mountain National Park

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:00 am
Mac66 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:52 pm
We also saw some bears. One crossed the road right in front of us while driving in the park and we saw 3 bears and 4 deer in Cades Cove.

First time since forever my knee didn't hurt going down hill.
Wondering if you carry in the Park?... That's one of the main reasons I starting carrying the G20/3 due to bears in the Spring.
Came across bears many times hiking on the AT and side trails.

Also good re the knee... sounds like it's coming along fine.
I did carry my G3c in the park while hiking. Not so much for bears, was talking to a park ranger who said the bears (at least in the park) are pretty used to people. I did change to FMJs when hiking the trails though. Interestingly I saw some guys open carrying in the park and in Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg and Sevierville.

Other than the bear than ran across the road in front of us while driving, the rest were between 25 and 50 yards away.

When we were in Denali NP in Alaska there are some places where you have to take a NP bus to get to. Firearms are prohibited on the bus but concealed is concealed so it was never an issue. I carried the whole time.