Starting tomato plants

Here you can post your DIY projects or links/videos.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Starting tomato plants

Post by Bmyers »

We are watching the weather this weekend, forecast is showing we will stay above the frost temp, but keeping an eye. The latest frost our area has had is May 10th, but generally, we make it to Easter (first week in April) and the freeze/frost chances drop really low.

Carrot seeds went into the ground last night. I think out of everything we grow, I like the carrots the most. They go great with roast and gravy.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We made it out to the farm Saturday before the rain hit. We got a long row of potatoes planted. Hoping next weekend to comeback and get a second row planted.

We were scrambling to beat the rain.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

The plants have started flowering. Cut lettuce and spinach last night. Carrots seem to all be doing well. Can't wait to get some fresh ones out.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

As the time has progressed, we have had four volunteer tomatoes plants that have sprouted. So, I have a feeling we will have more tomatoes than we will know what to do with.
Erich

Post by Erich »

That's a win!
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We have gone from four volunteer to a total of seven volunteer plants. First plants have tomatoes on them. So, they are doing well and based on the size differences in the plants, we should have fresh tomatoes all the way through the fall.
Erich

Post by Erich »

Yay! :)
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Had to spray the tomatoes with calcium. Started noticing bottom rot on a couple of them. Yet with the dry weather, it doesn't surprise me that we are seeing some of that. Talked with wife to try to make sure we are being a little more regular with our watering to help get the calcium from the roots into the plants. Last year we had to much rain and was suffering from tomatoes splitting, now we lack rain and suffering from rot.

Who ever said gardening was easy?
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Plants are covered with green tomatoes. I'm not sure what we are going to do with all of them. We planted some cucumbers and pepper plants to add to the garden. Will be checking on the potatoes and the apple trees tomorrow when I head out to the farm.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We have picked over two dozen tomatoes. They are starting to go crazy.