Starting tomato plants

Here you can post your DIY projects or links/videos.
Erich

Re: Starting tomato plants

Post by Erich »

Great to hear!

I went to lunch with a (retired archeologist) friend last week and he insisted that I come by his house's desert garden to grab some volunteer tomato plants. His wife (an author) stopped work long enough to make sure that I had two good ones and that they were properly packaged for transplant in the pretty serious arid heat. I ran them across town and stuck them in a big pot where I've had a basil plant established since spring.

These were tomatoes that volunteered from seeds in their sink's grey water that they used to water their desert garden beds, so the plants are likely to be pretty tough by nature. And to handle heat and aridity well.

They actually seem to be doing okay: they seem like they're establishing and they are growing. I'm really happy about it, because I hate trying to transplant things in weather that will kill them. Looks like this might have been okay. :) Anyhow, even though we all know that basil and tomatoes are "full sun" plants, I've learned in the 23 years since we had this house built that doesn't necessarily mean full sun on our high desert lot: I've had both basil and tomatoes (which seem to thrive under very similar conditions, don't they?) shrivel in our full sun, but I've figured out the basil does okay in our side yard which gets early afternoon sun only. I'm thinking the tomatoes will as well.

I think I mentioned up-thread that our house seems to be situated in the prime life zone of the accursed sphinx moth, a giant source of tomato horn worms in these parts. When I was working I'd go away in the dark of morning to my office in a city 60 miles away and then return in the evening to find my tomato plants had been utterly destroyed during the day by horn worms. So, I quit trying - for years. These transplants from last week are my first tomato try probably since '05 . . . and, well, I'm hopeful. And at least partly because the sphinx moth season is earlier in the spring - we still have some, but not the crazy numbers we had in May. Plus, I'm retired now so I can go out and check on the plants during the day - and terminate any horn worms I find with extreme prejudice.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Does Seven dust work against the horn worms?
Erich

Post by Erich »

Beats me: I never do anything except pluck them off and throw them over the wall into the street.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We have picked several containers of tomatoes. The wife has started selling some to co-workers and we still have more than we know what to do with.
Erich

Post by Erich »

Selling?

So much for the old quote, "There're two things money can't buy: true love and homegrown tomatoes."
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Yeah, she is selling them in containers for a few bucks each and then using that money to add to her seed collection and preparing for next season already. I told she needs to raise the price and save towards a new F250 for me, but she didn't bite.

Although, she has several elderly couples/individuals on her route and she just leaves them tomatoes and carrots on their porches. She likes taking care of her people on her route.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

About 30 years ago, before I had the yard planted in fruit trees, I raised tomatoes.

I was taking a day off, not feeling well. When I felt better, I picked as many tomatoes as I could and took them to the principal's office. Every kid in his class received 3 large tomatoes to take home and a handful of cherry tomatoes to eat in school.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

That was nice. Growing up everyone had gardens, but over the years that has faded out. Seems like less and less of them around. I don't think people realize the joy they are missing from raising their own food.
Erich

Post by Erich »

That's awesome - great stories. :)
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Nothing like a FRESH tomato on top of a slice of mozzarella with some FRESH basil .... drizzle oil, salt / pepper

Love my small garden
You can't fix stupid !