Smallest caliber you'd feel comfortable carrying?

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Smallest caliber you'd feel comfortable carrying?

Post by David »

David wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:21 am My S&W 380 BG came with 5 magazines. One had a 1.25 inch pinky extension. My first thought was that the extension was too long and probably wouldn’t work well with trying to get out of a pocket. However, I decided to try it out and was surprised that it didn’t pose any issue over the smaller extensions or flat magazine. Didn’t seem to print any differently in the pocket either. And it gave me a decent 3-finger grip on the pistol. As a result it was more comfortable to shoot than my LCP. So I decided I’d try the 1.25 inch extension out on the LCP. I might even take off the Hogue Handel grip wrap to see how I like it since it would have a thinner overall feel in the pocket. I say this because the BG, which is about the same size as the LCP overall feels thinner in the pocket than the LCP with Handel. For this type of pistol, thin and light is the goal.

I purchased a 2-pack on Amazon from AmeriGun Club. Looked the same as Garrison.

As far as looks, I didn’t really care for it on the BG originally. But it grew on me. And functionally it works well, for me. So I figure since it doesn’t interfere with my goals for this pistol type I’d try it on the LCP for $10 for a 2-pack.

Got back from the range this evening. Had a chance to shoot both the 380 BG and the LCP, both with those 1.25 extended extenders. I really enjoyed shooting both. I seemed to be a bit more accurate with the LCP. And both were quite pleasant to shoot so I'm very impressed with the extenders. Well spent few bucks for the LCP extenders.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

This is what it looks like with the 1.25 inch base plate.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:57 am Image

This is what it looks like with the 1.25 inch base plate.
This extension actually made the LCP even more pleasant to shoot that before. The addition of it and the Hogue Handal really tame it down a lot. So far the extended base plate works fine in the pockets of the shorts I've tried it with. Mostly jean or cargo style shorts. I have a wedding to attend in a week so I'll be in dress slacks. I'll test it out in dress slacks then. If it doesn't work well in those types of pockets it is an easy matter to switch back to the original base plates. Ruger base plates are really easy (not like Glock!) to remove and replace.

But for general use, it really helps to get a full 3-finger grip on this little mouse gun. Same as with the 380 Bodyguard. At the range last week I had the target at around 7 yards and was shooting the little score box on the upper left and right of the target. All the shots from the LCP were spot on with that little box. I started out a little low with the BG but it shaped up after a bit of shooting. I'd like to get a bit more trigger time with it to tighten up the groups to the level of the LCP.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I decided to break my rule on not getting a newly released pistol for a year. I had the opportunity to get one of those LCP II in .22lr with the easy rack slide. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, probably next Monday.

Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Please give us a range report. I am interested, just don't have the finances right now as the tax man wants his cut of what I earned.

I just had 9 inches of fresh snow overnight. So ranges day may have been pushed back a few days.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:20 pm Please give us a range report. I am interested, just don't have the finances right now as the tax man wants his cut of what I earned.

I just had 9 inches of fresh snow overnight. So ranges day may have been pushed back a few days.
Still haven’t had the chance to shoot the LCP II .22lr with the virus and riots and such.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I mentioned elsewhere that we finally got a chance to shoot the LCP II .22lr last week. It shot just fine. Had a couple of failures to fire but I'm gonna put that on the ammo and not the pistol. The primer strikes looked fine, but no bang. Next to nothing recoil of course. Wife liked it and it makes a dandy little pocket mouse gun for her if she doesn't feel like packing the 380EZ in her purse. Considering whether or not to get that 2-pack of magazines since we have just the one.

cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

I guess it depends on the situation but years ago I used to carry a Jenning J22 in 22lr while fishing at night and I never felt under armed.
These days I frequently go walking around the neighborhood at night and I just carry a S&W AirLite 317 loaded with 8 rounds of CCI Minimag.