Smallest caliber you'd feel comfortable carrying?

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Smallest caliber you'd feel comfortable carrying?

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:48 am how many rules were violated during that clip :)
The pistol was never unloaded when handed off. New pistol was handed off loaded. Old pistol was left pointing at Q on the desk. Those were the ones that I saw.

:D
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Quasar86

Post by Quasar86 »

No problems carrying a .380 ACP. I subscribe to the old adage "any gun is better than no gun" . Sometimes conditions dictate a small weapon. Modern ballistics make up for it's shortfalls of years ago. Also is an excellent choice IMHO as a BUG on the ankle.
Steve
"I've learned much from 32 years of military and 35 years of medicine"
fishingjeff
Board Founder

Post by fishingjeff »

About 12 errors total by all involved.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I carried a 22 auto as a backup for a time when I was a cop. It was a Sterling Model 302 which was a small striker fired auto. I figured it was at least as good as a 25 auto than many guys were carrying at the time and was cheaper to shoot. It was a fun little gun that I eventually replaced with an AMT 380 Backup.
SIGShooter

Post by SIGShooter »

I'd be concern with carrying a 22LR just because of the higher odds of having a misfire. Seems like I always have a few not go off whenever I'm out on the range.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

SIGShooter wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:36 pm I'd be concern with carrying a 22LR just because of the higher odds of having a misfire. Seems like I always have a few not go off whenever I'm out on the range.
That is a legitimate concern. Otherwise this would be a good option for my wife.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Oh gawd don't get me started on the .25 ACP.... I would rather see someone carry a .22 LR than a .25.

I would even donate to hire a necromancer to call from the dead whom ever came up with the .25 ACP so we could shoot him again, I am sure that is how he ran in to his demise.

My father use to say. ".25 acp for when you can't say I want that gun shoved up my *$$ clear enough."

As I think about it, the 9mm is the smallest.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:16 pm As I think about it, the 9mm is the smallest.
I use to not give a .380 a second thought. Now I've got two of them (LCP and Bodyguard) and plans to get a third. The LCP is simply the gun you have when you can't have a gun. No different than putting a wallet or cell phone in the pocket. I need to start testing out the BG for comfort in the pocket. For around the house or when I'm dressed up the little mouse guns fill the bill and check the box 'always have a gun'.

Yes, I'd prefer a 9mm and that's my main caliber with the 40 S&W as my secondary. But the .380 can go places a larger gun may not be able to go from a perspective of being practical.

Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Yeah, if I am carrying for self defense, I am going to stay with the 9mm as the smallest. Unless they figure out how to pump up the 5.7 about 600 more FPS than what they are then I might go back and revisit that. Right now the .380 is still behind and loading. It is having to be down loaded because of old guns from 100 years ago that some people would try and stuff hot loads in to.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

My S&W 380 BG came with 5 magazines. One had a 1.25 inch pinky extension. My first thought was that the extension was too long and probably wouldn’t work well with trying to get out of a pocket. However, I decided to try it out and was surprised that it didn’t pose any issue over the smaller extensions or flat magazine. Didn’t seem to print any differently in the pocket either. And it gave me a decent 3-finger grip on the pistol. As a result it was more comfortable to shoot than my LCP. So I decided I’d try the 1.25 inch extension out on the LCP. I might even take off the Hogue Handel grip wrap to see how I like it since it would have a thinner overall feel in the pocket. I say this because the BG, which is about the same size as the LCP overall feels thinner in the pocket than the LCP with Handel. For this type of pistol, thin and light is the goal.

I purchased a 2-pack on Amazon from AmeriGun Club. Looked the same as Garrison.

As far as looks, I didn’t really care for it on the BG originally. But it grew on me. And functionally it works well, for me. So I figure since it doesn’t interfere with my goals for this pistol type I’d try it on the LCP for $10 for a 2-pack.