What do you carry in the 'wilds'?

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.

.22lr
No votes
380acp
No votes
38 Special
No votes
9mm
No votes
357sig
No votes
357 magnum
20%
40S&W
No votes
45acp
60%
44 magnum
No votes
Other
20%

Total votes: 5

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Can't believe I've never started a 'woods carry' thread :!:

I'm using that Glock 21 Gen 3 police trade-in I picked up a year or so ago. Carried a G21 Gen 3 for nearly 2/3 of my career so I'm pretty well versed in the platform. Being a police trade-in the pistol isn't pristine. Has some slight holster wear but nothing major. So not majorly concerned if it gets a scratch or a little sweat on it. After all, it is a Glock, lol. I figured it would be a good platform for anything I'm likely to encounter in Florida.

Have it loaded with 230g HST+P JHP. Seems to get 12-15 inches of penetration in the tests I've seen. Open up to .79 give or take. 230g FMJ may or may not be a better option out on the trails as they would yield quite a bit more penetration. I've seen test results of 30+ inches.

My typical concerns out on a trail would be a rabid animal. The +P HST would likely be more than sufficient to put one down I would think.

Open to suggestions.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: What do you carry in the 'wilds'?

Post by tom mac »

Always carry the Glock 20...
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Well...in my woods I typically carry what I happen to have with me at the time. Often it's a 22, sometimes it's my 9mm EDC. Sometimes it's a 357 mag or a 44 mag. Often when I'm out checking the trail cameras its' my Ruger P97 45. I have black bears, coyotes, bobcat etc on the property so I feel comfortable packing a 45 acp with hot handloads.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:07 am Always carry the Glock 20...
I have often thought about getting a 10mm conversion barrel for my G21. From what I've seen its really all that's needed. Some suggest changing out the extractor but it doesn't seem to be a 'needed' change and the G21 works fine. And of course the appropriate magazines.

What's stopped me is that I don't really 'need' it for my area. If I were to travel to somewhere with larger critters maybe, but the G21 should be more than sufficient for Florida. And of course I'd have to get ammo for it. But it's still in the back of my mind 'just because'.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:47 pm I have black bears, coyotes, bobcat etc on the property so I feel comfortable packing a 45 acp with hot handloads.
FMJ?

I have my G21 loaded up with 230g HST+P right now but sometimes consider 230g FMJ since it's a woods carry pistol.

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

David wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:48 pm
I have my G21 loaded up with 230g HST+P right now
Thinking that would be plenty for anything you come up against... hi-cap mags with 13 (?).

As mentioned, I started with the G20 as the AT trail has a few black bears... my 45 at the time was only 8 rounds , so I upgraded to a new gun.
Now I leave the house, the G20 comes along in a IWB Supertuck by Crossbreed... Silvertips standard carry round.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:48 pm
Mac66 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:47 pm I have black bears, coyotes, bobcat etc on the property so I feel comfortable packing a 45 acp with hot handloads.
FMJ?

I have my G21 loaded up with 230g HST+P right now but sometimes consider 230g FMJ since it's a woods carry pistol.
Sorry for the confusing response. I had trouble with the server while at the woods house.

To answer your question, yes, primarily FMJ/ball ammo though I do have a mag loaded with SWC handloads loaded pretty hot @ around 1050 FPS. And I just realized after walking around in the woods the other day all the bears are in hibernation so probably don't need the 45. But I keep it there anyway so why not carry it.
Last edited by Mac66 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:39 am hi-cap mags with 13 (?).
Yep, pistol came with three of the 13-rounders.

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Well, in this state of NY, no hi-cap mag are allowed. ( exception for my 226 with was a carry gun as LEO, In NY u need training every 3 yrs to carry them )
So the max is ten round mags which I basically settled on as I carry out of state under LEOSA.
Just carry 3 mags :)
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:14 am Well, in this state of NY, no hi-cap mag are allowed. ( exception for my 226 with was a carry gun as LEO, In NY u need training every 3 yrs to carry them )
So the max is ten round mags which I basically settled on as I carry out of state under LEOSA.
Just carry 3 mags :)
NY is 'effed up.