What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2023

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2023

Post by David »

Rotated the ammunition in my carry pistols with new purchased. 124+P Gold dots for 9mm and Freedom Arms 90g XTP for the .380.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Just dump all my stored generator gas in the old car.... will hold off filling the cans until fall.

rotated some pantry items to put new in back.
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Finished a sword project. An avocation had been restoring and creating carry options for swords. The last unit was a Barry Dawson Wakazashi sword dating back to before the Second Gulf War.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Reloaded all my car survival gear/bags

Another round of adjusting the pellet gun scope
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Thank you... checked out my car equipment and renewed what was needed ( mostly batteries )

Building another self feed can rack for rotating canned food.

Getting mason jars together and have to get new lids to can up the eggplant appetizer we make pretty soon
You can't fix stupid !
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Wife and I renewed our carry permits, so we are good for another five years.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well, as I mentioned in the EDC sling bag thread, I put together a specific CCW sling bag with the new M-Tac sling bag. So far it's working out great. Have all the normal items I've carried in a sling bag but I can now add a secondary pistol. The construction seems to be heavy duty and solid. A little heavier than the other sling bag but so far nothing distressing.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

The big switch over. Everything getting ready for the winter months.

All three saws running and getting winter oil put in them.

Generator running and fuel additives put in for the winter and oil checked.

Snowblower dug out and prepped for potential upcoming winter use.

Lawnmower still not ready for storage. Based on the trees, figuring I have one more mowing before fuel stabilizer and winter preps on the mower.

Tractor is stored with fuel stabil and anti-gel year around.

So, preparing to head out and check vehicles and get them switched over and then winter prep switchovers will be complete.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

My prepping goals are a bit different than most. Not focused on getting the latest bang or going on a big hunt to exercise any skills.

This year, two neighbors died in a house fire. They weren't prepared by having alarms to alert them in the middle of the night.

I have watched my relatives struggle as they deteriorate with age. I made a few 500 mile round trips this year to take care of a relative when his wife was gone or he couldn't do the necessary tax and paperwork.

So there are little things that I list for myself to do which are mundane, but necessary preps.

Fire: This year I bought another rechargeable fire extinguisher. I keep one in each bedroom and one in the kitchen. This morning, I did the annual clean out of the grease encrusted kitchen fan. I clean the oven twice a year.

Cleanout. The boy scouts made arrangements to come after Thanksgiving. Every year I look at the tools and get rid of the ones I will not use anymore. 4 boxes this year. When my dad passed on years ago, he had not one salvageable tool in his workroom. Like lots of "repaired" extension cords and damaged tools that were once usable. This year I actually found two brand new carpets that I bought in Morocco some 40 years ago.

Grab bars, banisters and the like. I had them commercially installed 10 years ago. The former owner of the house fell between the dining room and the den, breaking a leg. A few years ago, an older brother broke another leg going down the staircase in his house that did not have a banister.

Knowing when to fold them. I have natural or sunlight bulbs in high fixtures around the house. Can I climb up on a ladder and change a light bulb any more? No. The light bulbs are rated for 10 years. I received new ones to replace the old ones, keeping the old ones as spares. Most are now already 10 years old, if not previously replaced. I am angling for the local kids to earn some money climbing up ladders at Christmas time.

Estate plan. Done three years ago. Reviewed. No updates. I want to relate what I did on Friday, which was a PITA and necessary. I started at 4:30 am.

Bank 1, credit card. Called. I pay off the credit card every day. This functions to keep out hackers (yes I have been hacked in the past) and watch the cash flow. Called bank. We determined that the bank software was slightly defective and I was getting transactions marked as pending which the bank had as completed.

Bank 2. No access on line. Checking why no confirmation of purchase of a cd done in person at the bank. Learned that the cd transaction was not done, that the bank wanted a note from a computer guy that there was nothing wrong in my computer so that I could regain access. No money was missing. 40 plus years with the bank. Will withdraw everything when the next batch of checks clear.

Credit union. On September 13, 2023, I went to the bank with cell phone and lap top. The bank had warned and completely changed its own line or mobile banking. Waited until a month or so passed. Well, I could not get on line. Took everything to the CU for 9 a.m., got set up again, opened a checking account which will receive the funds from bank 2.

Kroeger. Multiple problems with check ins over the last 2 years because of company software changes. Took a potential transaction and the cell phone to Kroeger and had an educational session.

I mention all these. High technology is a lot of cr-p. Dealing with credit cards, on-line banking and software changes is aggravating. But you have to do it as part of your preps.

I keep every statement and throw out the ones I don't need in December.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Just got my security sustem upgraded into the 2020's.

ADT monitored and all the cool sensors. And now there is an app for it!

Plus there is still the dog alarm...