What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2023

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2023

Post by David »

Got some additional Israeli pressure bandages and three CAT style tourniquets to put in each vehicle and my SBR/pistol go-bag.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Going to refill the couple of large gas containers for the winter.... Add some Stabil and store. Usu have enough to run at min levels for 30 days.
Gas needed for the generator as now the weather is cold enough. Always had one container filled but found that I was just not using the extras in the warm weather and it just made more work.

I have 2 -120gal propane tanks, so looking this spring to run a new underground line and convert the generator over to propane... looking for a gas conversion kit.
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:37 am I have 2 -120gal propane tanks, so looking this spring to run a new underground line and convert the generator over to propane... looking for a gas conversion kit.
Thank you for the reminder, I have several propane tanks I need to get refilled.

I also want to install one of those Generac generators that runs off natural gas. I would have done it this year but funds got diverted towards my son's upcoming wedding. So I'll try to get it installed next year before storm season. I'm going to ballpark the project at 5-10k.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Cleaned up the safe and took an inventory of the amount in each caliber.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

The boy scouts came by with a truck last week.

For 2024:
1. I have already posted a couple of places. I am making my leather making tools available. Will not make sheaths any more.
2. I resolved for 2023 not to restore any more tools/hatchets/tomahawks/axes and stuck to that.
3. I already have a plan of what to donate for 2024. By March 2024, I will have another truckload for the boy scouts.

It is not worth my time and effort to list things for sale on eBay, sell it, package it, and deal with the post office.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

It is the week before Christmas. Checking my communications gear and patting myself on the back until . . .

1. I had mistakenly left the batteries within a battery pack attached to one of the ham units. Corroded. Fortunately, the radio was not affected, only the proprietary $25 battery case.
2. My eye sight has deteriorated and I wear glasses and use a magnifying glass when looking at equipment.
3. Lo and behold, my investigation determined:
a. Yaesu had discontinued the battery pack for all its radio line. I had been patting myself for buying replacement antennas/battery packs when I bought the units.
b. rechargeable batteries could not be used.
c. I had put unopened rechargeable batteries of a different size in the box as well as proper alkalines.
d. I had so many extra battery packs/gear, it made sense to buy an estate sale unit that would take the same battery.
e. I am charging up the wrong size batteries. When done, they go into a PRC plastic pack inside a zip lock bag with a note when they were charged.

Once a year, I take everything out of the car, examine the items, replace if necessary. That will take place after Christmas.

Unfortunately, nothing is perfect.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

About a week and a half left in 2023...

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Just picked up couple large wood crates. 45x45x26". Heavy duty with screw down lids. Got them free off of craigslist locally. I think they would be useful for fire wood or other kinds of storage. I intend to stack them and use them as deer blinds. If I can't find a use for them I'll cut them up and use them as kindling.

The shop I got them from has dozens of them and said I could take as many as I wanted. In fact they offered me a case of beer to take all of them. I could only fit a couple in my truck but will take them up to the woods house, and bring my flat trailer home and get some more.

Not sure what was in them but whatever it was was sealed in plastic and surrounded by cardboard.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I would get a few boxes like that, but I think my wife would make me move into them.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I have Yaesu 2 meter portable radios. I learned that Yaesu discontinued 2 meter handhelds, the battery pack that would fit several models of Yaesu 2 meter handhelds.

I removed and tossed one pack that had leaked (should never store a unit that takes alkaline batteries with the batteries installed). Learned that it is very difficult to take apart the battery packs. Decided I had too many accessories so I bought a different discontinued model that takes the same battery pack and antenna, printed out the manual. Now wrestling to take apart the loaded used battery pack. The purchase was an estate sale. Works.

Now, I will be on a quest to examine my other Yaesu handhelds and check them out (which is what I am supposed to do annually).