So who still uses a Maglight?

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
David
Administrator

So who still uses a Maglight?

Post by David »

Several years back Lowes had several Maglights on clearance. 2D and 3D with the incandescent bulbs. So I picked up a few. Then Harbor Freight had the LED conversions (IIRC something like Night Eyes or similar). So I converted all of my D and C cell flashlights over to LED. I have more than a few in both C and D cell configurations. One is on the floor by the bed (in addition to the LED tube lights), one for the vehicle and the rest sorted around the house.

Older technology to me sure. But I like them. Not as powerful as the modern tube style LED flashlight, which I have a plethora. I think it puts out 55 lumens. But they are brighter/whiter than the incandescent bulbs. And I like that you can take off the head and rest the light in it like a cradle.

I think they still have a place in the prepper arsenal.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Re: So who still uses a Maglight?

Post by bdcochran »

I have a couple of Maglights in reserve - and a bunch of bulbs. This week I put together a graduation package for a nephew graduating from high school. 2 18650 lights, AAA conversions, and 2 4 unit recharging units.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

don't forget.... most maglights have a spare bulb in the base.

Still have 5 one in all vehicles some with LEd, some original. I pack the spare batteries with them
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I still have a bunch kicking around including a 3 cell D in my truck as a thumper but don't use them much anymore.
Erich

Post by Erich »

I have a 3D LED Maglite "tonk" on the side of the bed. Have a little AAA somewhere, but most of my lights are Fenix or Streamlight, etc.
JDH

Post by JDH »

A few.
Three 6D cell all converted to LED
A 4D with a UV led conversion
A 3D Camo with LED conversion
A 3D and a 3C both current model LEDs
Four old style Magchargers, two converted to LED so far. (these can be found in pawnshops cheap after someone throws the rechargeable battery away and loads them with D cells to find out they don't work. Most I paid for one was $8.)
A ML50
A couple 3AA
A few 2AA
Several 2AAA
And I'm sure I have forgotten some.

Back in my correctional officer days I carried a 6D in a belt ring. An inmate complained that it looked too much like a weapon. I was told nothing bigger than a 3D after that.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

a good 3d still had some weight when moving :)
You can't fix stupid !
JDH

Post by JDH »

tom mac wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:11 am a good 3d still had some weight when moving :)
Yeah it did. You just didn't have the reach.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

JDH wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:48 pm Back in my correctional officer days I carried a 6D in a belt ring. An inmate complained that it looked too much like a weapon. I was told nothing bigger than a 3D after that.
Some administrations cater to inmates way too much. At one time the Deputies in our jail had black gloves, often the kevlar type. Several reasons for this; safer when conducting a pat or strip search and it helped protect the surgical gloves from tearing. They also often had a rough texture to help grip onto someone in a use-of-force. An inmate complained it made the Deputies look like 'Gestopo' so the powers-that-be at the time said no more black gloves. The Deputies kept wearing them anyways. Sometimes you just had to ignore the brass that never actually worked the job.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
JDH

Post by JDH »

David wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:21 pm Some administrations cater to inmates way too much.
I had fully intended to go to mandatory retirement. I ended up going as soon as I was eligible because PC was running amok, upper managers were being selected not based on knowledge and experience but what they looked like, and knowing I was never going to be selected for promotion.