Prepping for 2022 in review

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Prepping for 2022 in review

Post by David »

So how did your goals go for this last year?

For me a lot of stuff, unfortunately, went to the wayside during the loooong moving process. Still can't find two of my lion chargers. I did complete my SBR go-bag.

New vehicle that I need to get better outfitted with the stuff I want in it.

How about you guys?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Prepping for 2022 in review

Post by Bmyers »

The wife has focused a lot on learning new food preserving and preparation skills. I would say we have more food in the house now, than we have ever had before.

She has been watching for sales and reading up on how to best preserve various items.

Next year, we have two watering troughs that we will be bringing from the farm for her to use to grow some of her garden items in. I was going to build her a couple of raised beds, but she seen these and thinks they will work just as well.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

So how did your goals go for this last year?

1. technology.
Fine. My son is an internet entrepreneur. This means that he is up on technology, applications, on-line banking.
I determined that I needed to learn those things. So, I had sent him money for a top android cell phone and a couple years of subscription. The learning curve has been as painful as I expected. I still have a ways to go on the learning curve.

2. education.
Fine. For years, three goals. I have a reading program, a language skills program, and a youtube program of education.

3. Downsizing.
Fine. The storage unit is gone.

4. Health.
Ok. The hardest part of getting older is accepting that you are getting older. Once you get over that hurdle, then things become clearer.
It is Christmas. It doesn't matter that you have been diligent over the years. The lab tests were fine this last week. Conversely, two front teeth failed, including a root canal on one of them.
I had difficulty this year lifting the 40 pound bag of gardening stuff from the shopping cart to the car. So, it will be 20 pound bags in the future.
You notice that I eliminated a storage unit. I have had a lifetime of experience in putting relatives into retirement homes. Currently, I periodically have to make a long trip to watch after a brother while his wife is out of town.
When you accept that you are on the downhill slope, then life is easier. Every day, I ask myself two questions:
1. what can I get rid of today;
2. what can I do to make my life easier.
I don't ask myself the following questions:
1. what new toy should I buy;
2. what new hobby or project do I want to start (and which I will never finish).
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:52 am The wife has focused a lot on learning new food preserving and preparation skills.
Those are excellent skills to learn! Wife and I have a de-hydrator that we need to start using. We were talking about it just the other day.
Bmyers wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:52 am Next year, we have two watering troughs that we will be bringing from the farm for her to use to grow some of her garden items in. I was going to build her a couple of raised beds, but she seen these and thinks they will work just as well.
Suggestions: Make sure there are drainage holes in the bottom and put a small layer of rocks/pebbles in the bottom then the dirt. This will help the drainage process and prevent root rot and such. Home Depot or Lowes sells backs of that type of stuff. It may not be necessary in your climate but down here where it's really hot it helps to have a layer of mulch or bark on the top of the soil to help hold in the moisture.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

One of the them has already taken care of the hole problem with a couple of nice little rust holes. The other one, we will have to drill some holes in. Looking forward to giving it a try.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

As we were looking around in the barn, we found to more troughs, both 6ft long.

So, I think the plan is to get them late winter, get holes in the ones that aren't rusted. Pick up a truck load of mulch and fill each up about 12-18 inches with mulch and then put about 6-8 inches of potting soil in them and then a layer of mulch on top. I have her an irrigation system that allows here to water all her plants at once, keeping most of the water at the base of the plant.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I have 14 containers with vegetables.

Potting soil mixed white volcanic rock is sufficient.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Pretty much spent the year getting the woods house up to speed. Not quite there yet but should finish in the coming year.

We were shooting for next year to sell our regular house and move to the woods house. Have a lot of stuff to do on that house before its ready to sell. We'll see if that happens.

Getting my right knee replaced the last day of February. That will slow me down for about 6 weeks or so. Already back in the gym building the leg up to make the recovery faster.