Crossbows

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
Mac66
Board Founder

Crossbows

Post by Mac66 »

I've been crossbow hunting for about 5 years. I went to a crossbow after I broke my elbow and couldn't draw the string on my compound bow. I can now draw the string on it but X-bows are so efficient and easy to shoot they spoil you.

My cross bow was a relatively cheap one. It shot at 350 fps and cost about $300. I've taken 4 deer with it. A couple years ago while attempting to de-cock it I misfired/dryfired it and broke one of the limbs. Replacement limbs are about $125 and requires a press so you would have to take it in to be fixed with an added labor cost.

I instead switched to my late father's crossbow which I gave him for a birthday present one year. It's the model below the one I bought but has take 3 deer. It's rated at 320 fps, cost about $275 at the time. My daughter shot her first deer with it and I've taken two.

My son came home for a week (for Mactoberfest) and up to the woods house and wanted to hunt. Because my xbow was broken I didn't have a spare.

On Monday I got an email that Dunhams had a two day flash sale going on and a normally $300 x-bow was on sale for $219. That's a pretty good price in that the cheapest I've seen that particular model was on sale for $259. It's made by Killer Instinct which is a Michigan company. It's advertised @ 405 FPS. Came with a scope, three bolts.

So I bought it and put it together. I was surprised how much better it is than my old xbow and for a lot less money. It is lighter and came with string dampeners, silencers and a better (but still cheap) scope. Not to mention it shoot bolts over 400 fps. That should extend the range out to maybe 45-50 yards. My old one dropped off at 35-40 yards.

I'm headed up to the woods house today so will sight it in and test it out to 50 yards or so. Should be interesting to see how it shoots.
Last edited by Mac66 on Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Crossbows

Post by Mac66 »

Update...

Sighted it in at 30 yards and at 40 yards. Shoots well.

Dead on at 30, used the scope drop marking to shoot at 40 . Dead center on the first mark at 40. I would have tried at 50 but it was snowing hard. Yeah 34 degrees and snowing at the time. Couple hours later Its now 44 and sunny.

Supposed to be 71 tomorrow and Saturday. That's Michigan weather for you.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Old top, new bottom. Both will do the job.

Bogart

Post by Bogart »

I used to hunt with a compound bow but elbow problems stopped that. Never thought about a crossbow. After reading this I may have to look into one.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bogart wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:13 am I used to hunt with a compound bow but elbow problems stopped that. Never thought about a crossbow. After reading this I may have to look into one.
You can use the cocking string to cock a crossbow or they have cranks now as well.

BTW, it was 30' on Friday morning got up to 58 in the afternoon. 45 degrees in the morning on Saturday, 70' in the afternoon. It was 54' on Sunday morning but got up to 74'. I think that's called "Indian Summer". Absolutely beautiful.

Supposed to be in the 70s for the next couple days. Back into the 30s-50s by Wednesday and for the rest of the week.

I'm home for a couple days. My wife is headed to Florida to have some work done on her parent's Villages house so I am headed back north on Tuesday after visiting my mom. Will have the whole week to do some serious hunting by myself.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Good for you, MAC66.

Have two crossbows. City forbids the use at the archery range. My area has become tremendously urbanized over the last 50 years. The archery shop that was walking distance from home is gone. The nearest shop is now 1/2 - 3/4 hour away during non rush hour.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I'd like to go back to using my compound bow. Hunted with it for 10 years or so in the '70s early 80' then the kids came along and stopped for about 20 years. Picked it back up until I broke my elbow when I switched to the X bow.

I bought a compound bow at a garage sale 10 years ago when I started bow hunting again. It was a very good bow when it came out 20 years ago. Now it's considered old technology. But even old tech is still better than older recurve bows. Just needs to be tuned and I need to practice with it. Every time I'm up north I dig out more pieces i.e, arrows, broadheads, and sights out to get it back up and running. Some day i may get back to it.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

And, then a new product comes on the market...

Umarex AirSaber Air Archery Arrow Rifle Airgun with Axeon Scope
Manufacturer: Umarex Airguns
SKU: 2252660
This item may be restricted from shipping to some areas
Price: $399.99
Your price: $359.99
Accurately launch arrows out to 70 yards with the power of air, no strings attached! The Umarex AirSaber airbow uses high-pressure air and a special arrow to achieve velocities up to 480 FPS and 178 ft lbs of energy. Includes Axeon Scope!
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:37 am And, then a new product comes on the market...

Umarex AirSaber Air Archery Arrow Rifle Airgun with Axeon Scope
Manufacturer: Umarex Airguns
SKU: 2252660
This item may be restricted from shipping to some areas
Price: $399.99
Your price: $359.99
Accurately launch arrows out to 70 yards with the power of air, no strings attached! The Umarex AirSaber airbow uses high-pressure air and a special arrow to achieve velocities up to 480 FPS and 178 ft lbs of energy. Includes Axeon Scope!
Yikes!

But not legal to hunt with in my state.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Just noticed that my x bow is on flash sale again at Dunhams for $20 cheaper than what I paid. Oh well. Should have waited a week. But hey, maybe it'll be even cheaper next week. Lol.