New Knee?

Preparedness starts with good health. Section for all things health and exercise related. Including discussions of current events in the world of health and medicine.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: New Knee?

Post by tom mac »

good luck.... PT is important
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

I have a New Knee

Post by Mac66 »

Well, that was easy. In at 5am. Prep at 5:30-6:30. Surgery at 7.

Recovery from 8 until just after 10. Up to the room at 10:30. Lunch at 11. PT and physical tests at 12:30. Passed with flying colors.

Sitting around ever since waiting to go home.

Yes, it was pretty painful in recovery. They got me on nerve blocker, pain pump, and compression pump, and a ice machine pump. Occasional pain pill.

Whoo hooo! Nurse just came in and said I'm good to go.

Absolutely amazing difference this time over last time.
Mac66
Board Founder

New Knee

Post by Mac66 »

Day 2---

Slept fitfully last night. Not so much due to pain but can't really roll onto my side which is how I sleep.

The pain pump is good for three days and I haven't needed any pain pills yet. When the pain pump runs out on the third day, it'll be time for the pills. Not looking forward to the third day. That's when all the muscle soreness, bruising and pain really starts.

The good news is that I'm a lot more mobile. You can put weight on it right away and other than some instability I can walk around on it. Currently using a walker but I could get by with a cane. They want you on the walker first due to the meds you're on so you don't fall down.

Expect to hear from the PT/OT folks today. They will come to the house for about a week or so.

I've already started the exercises. They are pretty simple and I'm in pretty good shape so no problem other than some increased pain while doing them. As they say "no pain, no gain"
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Glad it's working out well for you. My buddy that was also one of my Deputies just got his knee replaced. Hurt it in a use-of-force last year and it's been getting worse. Doesn't help that he's 6'8 and over 400lbs. Lot of weight on a knee.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Day 3....

As I suspected day 3 is going to be a bear. Was up most of the night fighting the pain.

Very stiff and sore today

-Keeping the ice pump on it.
-The pain pump should be good until the end of the day
-Take the meds. They got me on antibiotic, blood thinner and pain meds.

-Get up and walk every hour
-exercise twice a day

Visiting nurse was here today. No issues. Also had PT today.

Scheduled for two weeks of home care (nurse & PT) then out patient. PT was hard but not too hard. Should be through it in a week-10 days.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Praying for a quick recovery for you.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Thanks...

Slept not great but ok last night.

Pain pump ran out today but I've been taking my pain pills every 4 hrs so I'm doing pretty well. More PT today which seems to help with stiffness. Its painful but not very hard. It's good to be in shape before surgery. I can do things today I couldn't do yesterday and tomorrow will be even better.

From here on out its all about the PT.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I've been sleeping in a medical lift/ reclining chair in the family room. It's electric and raises and lowers and goes completely flat for sleeping. It was my father in laws, top of the line, paid for through medicare. He had Parkinsons (and cancer) when he died. The chair was only about a month old.

The good thing is that is infinitely adjustable. You can raise and lower legs, head, back etc etc. It even lifts up so you can stand easier. The bad is that it isn't as comfortable as a bed and you need to move around a lot to get comfortable.

The nurse suggested I try sleeping in a bed last night. That was a mistake. I'm kind forced with lying on my back with my knee propped up. Can't roll over, can't change positions. It was torture. Made it until about 4 am and then went back to the chair.

And the thing about the pain pump being gone is that you really have to stay on top of taking your pain pill on time. If you miss it there's hell to pay. I am starting to ween myself off the pain pill to regular tylanol.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I hope no one minds me writing this stuff down. I'm sure it's of no interest to anyone but me and I'm not doing it for sympathy. It's just a way and a means to document it for future reference or until this website crashes again ;).

Anyway....I'm doing PT 4 times a day the last two days in addition to getting up and walking every hour. My knee is noticeably less stiff and has a wider range of motion. It still hurts to move it but not as much or as long as it did before. And that all without the physical therapist involved. She was last here on Friday, comes back tomorrow. Hope to show her some progress.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

4 PTs yesterday must have wore me out. I finally got some sleep last night. I think I only woke up once. Still sleeping in my chair but might go back to my bed later this week. Doctor takes the dressing off on Wednesday and probably will take xrays.

Knee is noticeably less stiff and sore this morning even without having taken a pain pill since last night.

Physical therapist said today she will start transitioning to a cane from the walker on Thurs. I don't really need the walker to walk (most of the time) it's more for stability in case I were to fall. The knee is still a bit unstable i.e, gives out on me from time to time. That's a matter of retraining the leg muscles.