New Knee?

Preparedness starts with good health. Section for all things health and exercise related. Including discussions of current events in the world of health and medicine.
Mac66
Board Founder

New Knee?

Post by Mac66 »

I had my left knee replaced maybe 12 years ago. At the time my right knee wasn't as bad and with PT, treatment and losing weight I've managed to hold off having it replaced. It's been bothering me a lot this summer. Had several shots of cortisone in it just prior to our trip to Ireland. Unfortunately we did a lot of walking and hiking on that trip which aggravated it even more.

Just got back from the doctor who xrayed it. Absolutely bone on bone with sharp points and ridges. Frankly he was surprised I could still walk on it at all. Got an appointment with the surgeon who did my other knee next week. Just have to figure out a good time to have it replaced. Probably next winter would be the best time. After hunting season and the holidays and a couple future cruises (one in early December and one in early Feb). I knew it was coming but it's still a bummer having to go through it again.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: New Knee?

Post by tom mac »

Had my left knee done in 2021 Oct... other than the PT, it was the best thing i did after the shots and gel stopped working.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I just looked it up, my left knee was done in 2009. I went from being sedentary due to being unable to walk around to being very active. It changed my life.

I knew at that time I'd need to have my right knee done eventually but was able to hold off with the gel and shots. I tend to have a high tolerance for pain but with it giving out on me I can't walk, hike or exercise so It's affecting my life now. I imagine that the procedure is pretty much in and out these days.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Mac66 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:45 am I imagine that the procedure is pretty much in and out these days.

Well, can say the next day after knee replaced, I was up and around... forced to to the step test by PT team ( up 3 steps of stairs ) before they let me leave. Only one night in hosp.

In 3 days I was getting around with cane after walker for first two.

PT was the worse ( always took my pain meds an hour before ) but after 12 sessions I had 96%+ mobility , now over 98%

If I have any complaint about the replacement, I can't kneel down on it without a pad but not a big deal about that.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

My brother had both knees replaced. He said if there is one thing to do before going in is do conditioning on your knees. I worked out on the knee machines like a fiend before the surgery.

I was up the next day but back then they kept you for 3-4 days.

After 6 sessions of pt they released me. Said there was nothing else the could do for me.

I don't expect it to go as well this time. I'm 12 years older though will start working the knee when I get a surgery date.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Don't know if they do it where you are... but they started a new method with knees here in the last couple years.

pain killers into local area by injection and then also Intraosseous infusion, which involves injecting medication directly into the bone marrow, allows us to control pain pre-emptively so that patients don't have to take as much pain medicine later on.”

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/newsro ... t-surgery/
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:18 am Don't know if they do it where you are... but they started a new method with knees here in the last couple years.

pain killers into local area by injection and then also Intraosseous infusion, which involves injecting medication directly into the bone marrow, allows us to control pain pre-emptively so that patients don't have to take as much pain medicine later on.”

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/newsro ... t-surgery/
Wow...interesting.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Thankfully, so far I have been able to avoid any of the knee, shoulder, etc. surgeries. Glad they keep making improvements to the process so when the day comes it will hopefully be an uneventful event.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Since I posted I've been to the ortho surgeon. The good news is the knee he did 12 years ago has no signs of any wear. Still good to go. The bad news is my other knee is bone on bone and out of alignment.It's shorter than my left leg. Which explains why I walk in circles. :lol: Surgery is scheduled for Feb 28. That's the soonest he could get me in.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Hope it goes as well as the other one.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".