New Knee?

Preparedness starts with good health. Section for all things health and exercise related. Including discussions of current events in the world of health and medicine.
bdcochran

Re: New Knee?

Post by bdcochran »

Good for you! Keep going.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Day 7-One week later
I didn't sleep very much last night. My knee ached all night. I'm running out of pain meds and I just couldn't get comfortable in my chair.

But the sun came up and thus starts another day in paradise.

Okay, one week. Overall it's gone pretty much like I expected. Been through it before just have to endure the pain, boredom and lack of mobility. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and am not a whiner or complainer. I just do what needs to be done and a bit more.

Kind of glad I got into shape before the surgery, makes recovery a lot quicker and easier. Still working out 4 times a day. The want 3 times a day. The PT just upped the reps to 15 which I'd been doing since last week. I'm now doing 25. Wife thinks I pushing too hard but I know what I can do and more is better. The last time I was scheduled for 3 weeks of out patient PT. I exceed the goal in a week and a half and they cut me loose. Of course I'm 12 years older now so we'll see.

Haven't left the house. There's really no place to go. My wife has been taking care of me better than I deserve. Hard to get her to stop waiting on me hand and foot. I can get up and down and can walk pretty well with my walker. But I'm bored just sitting around watching movies, reading and looking at forums on the internet. Only been eating once a day. Meds curb the appetite.

It's been snowing, raining, melting, snowing , raining melting everyday. Not really much else to do. Not enough snow to play in (even if I could) and not warm enough to go outside. So at least I picked a good time of the year to have the knee done.

See the surgeon tomorrow. Transition to a cane on Thursday. Out patient PT starts next week. The Dr. will give me another script for pain meds to get me through the PT. You kind of need them to get through it.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Amazing the difference 12 years makes in technology. These new knees are smaller, lighter and more efficient.

And yes, I did go back to the Dr. today. Everything is going good. He was kinda amazed at my progress, range of motion. etc. Said "keep doing what you're doing".

Start out patient PT next week.

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

was away...good to hear all going well.

PT for me was a bitch, saved my oxies ( 10 days only ) for PT days and took them an hour or so before. Only thing that prob got me thru PT.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:41 pm was away...good to hear all going well.

PT for me was a bitch, saved my oxies ( 10 days only ) for PT days and took them an hour or so before. Only thing that prob got me thru PT.
Pretty much what I'm doing. Taking a pain pill an hour before PT, otherwise don't really need them except to sleep once in awhile.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

One other thing of note re new knee....

can't really kneel on it anymore ( good knee is fine ) seems like the knee cap presses into the artificial joint and causes pain unless I use a real good foam pad .

But on the good side, mobility is 98% ( so good it's not a difference )
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:50 am One other thing of note re new knee....

can't really kneel on it anymore ( good knee is fine ) seems like the knee cap presses into the artificial joint and causes pain unless I use a real good foam pad .

But on the good side, mobility is 98% ( so good it's not a difference )
Well I had my left one done about 12 years ago. It changed my life. The problem is I forgot how long it was before I could start doing stuff again. I'm getting a little stir crazy, and bored and depressed having to wait it out again.

Therapist transitioned me to a cane yesterday so I'm moving around pretty well. Still a little instability occasionally bu I can walk without limping. And it still bothers me at night. Pretty much off the pain meds except for at night. Start outpatient PT next week.

How long ago did you have yours done and how long before you could do stuff, i.e, get back to relative normal? I'm thinking 6-8 weeks but I don't remember exactly.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Mac66 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:51 pm How long ago did you have yours done and how long before you could do stuff, i.e, get back to relative normal? I'm thinking 6-8 weeks but I don't remember exactly.

Had it done in Oct '21.

I was walking with cane after 3 days, without after 10... one level house so no real stairs.
Stiffness was there for the next couple/few weeks or so during PT.
Fully recovered I would say after 2 months, so that's about right.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Well it'll be two weeks tomorrow. Transitioned to a cane but I can walk without it and have been for moving around the room when nobody's looking for about the last week. It's still pretty sore when walking on it though. So Yeah I'm thinking 8 weeks to be fully healed.

I know on my last one we went to Hawaii at 10 weeks and I hiked up Diamond Head but I couldn't remember how long recovery actually took.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Glad things are progressing well for you.