Bic or Zippo (or other)

From primitive methods to advanced tools, everything you need to start a fire.

What do you prefer to EDC for fire-starting?

Bic style lighter
75%
Zippo
13%
Peanut lighter
No votes
Jet torch
No votes
Electric
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

Bob
Board Founder

Re: Bic or Zippo (or other)

Post by Bob »

As always - don't make it harder than it has to be.

#1 Get a pack of Bic's. Cheap, lasts forever, easily replaceable. They just work.
#2 I love my Zippo - but it is a luxury choice.

(5 x $1 Walmart LED and a Bic > 1 Zippo and a Surefire G2 that you lost!)

And as always...have SKILL to make fire in your area without either!!!!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Except Bic's don't last forever,. I just had to throw out two mini-Bics that I hardly used because the wheel froze up and wouldn't spin. Thus I can't spark the flint.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

OK - they will last a couple of years, and maybe a lot more.. And yeah, 1-5 might be defective. Buy 5. More than cheap enough.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I know Bic is suppose to be a good brand, and not knocking them. But I've had several that after a while I just can't spin the wheel. On the other hand, I bought three cases of cheap Chinese lighters at a local flea market several years ago for cheap. Still work just fine and I replaced that mini-Bic with one of them in my Maxpedition pocket organizer that I keep in my sling bag.

But yeah, for what a Bic cost you can replace them yearly.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

ok. So, I am going to put a couple zippos and a small container of sealed fluid in the car tomorrow. I drive less than 300 miles a month and virtually never more than 100 feet from the car.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdcochran wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:43 pm ok. So, I am going to put a couple zippos and a small container of sealed fluid in the car tomorrow. I drive less than 300 miles a month and virtually never more than 100 feet from the car.
That should last you a long time.

To me it's just kinda comforting to have a Zippo and a peanut lighter on or near me.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Screwpop Bic Mini Lighter Holder Keychain Multi Tool with Carabiner Clip and Bottle Opener Stainless Steel Construction

https://www.amazon.com/Screwpop-Keychai ... B074JG6SQH

David
Administrator

Post by David »