Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bob
Board Founder

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by Bob »

Mac - you would seriously shoot someone with a gun that has an inner tube on the grip? What are the police gonna say when they confiscate it?!?!?

"You got an extended threaded barrel and didn't spring for the grips? Lock him up!"
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:35 am And to Dave, I bought my XDs long before they sold out to liberal gun banners in their state.
You get a pass then :mrgreen:

I only have one SA product and that is a Saint AR15. But I got that through a trade so the company didn't see any profit from the transaction. And it was too good of a deal to pass up. Don't recall what pistol I traded but he needed a pistol for work (security guard) and I came out WAY ahead in the deal.

I love making good deals :lol:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I am confused. What is this XD shaming about? My gun is a first Gen XD45. Epic good pistol...
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Bob wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:59 am I am confused. What is this XD shaming about? My gun is a first Gen XD45. Epic good pistol...
The XD has always been the redheaded stepchild of the poly combat pistols. Partly because it was just a rebranded HS2000 from Croatia and partly because it's got mediocre ergonomics. It's a solid gun, but never gained any traction with serious shooters. The slide is too heavy and sits pretty high so it has slightly more recoil than other guns. The grip safety is a turnoff for many because it's possible to grab the gun without activating it.
I wouldn't turn one down if given to me, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Well, whatever.

1. I say Glock, XD, and M&P are the best gun values overall out there. Not a damn thing wrong with any of them. Not my choice, but can't hate.
2. Ergos? Mine is effing fantastic for a double stack .45. And I don't like .45. Must be a bunch of Glock-barbarians that can't shoot anything but Glock. Not that they shoot those well.
3. Plastic gun too heavy? When fractions of ounces mean tenths of seconds...Shut up liberal wimp boys. Do some curls. The barrel is mostly hole, not steel because .45!
4. Grip safety? While I'm not a fan, it seems to have worked for the 1911 for 119 years. Never had a problem with it. Delicate handing shooting ladies maybe...

Serious shooters are a bunch of cork sniffing, cry baby, know-it-all critics. Grab the damn gun and shoot it. Mine is the most inherently accurate gun I own*.

* Any issues with my HK USP are from my non-German lineage. A more Uber-Teutonic Operator would have no problems with it.
Last edited by Bob on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I guess that’s why I’m ‘balls on’ accurate with my HK’s. It’s all in the last name :D

And I wouldn’t ascribe your tirade description to ‘serious shooters’, I’d say gun snobs is who it applies to the most accurately.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

When I say "serious shooters" I mean competition shooters. Much like auto racing, competition weeds out the good gear from the great.
You'll notice themes among top shooters. The gear may vary a bit, but they will gravitate towards the best gear. I don't mean the most expensive. Sometimes cheaper gear is just as good. Certainly things you don't see among the top shooters at a match are XDs, HKs, and High Points.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Well - there is that. Then there is the after market mod factor. None of those competition guys are shooting a Glock that actually looks like a Glock. Thus M&P's and XD's not invited.

As for HK - well, mod the gun and you void your soul...
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Bob wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:17 pm Well - there is that. Then there is the after market mod factor. None of those competition guys are shooting a Glock that actually looks like a Glock. Thus M&P's and XD's not invited.

As for HK - well, mod the gun and you void your soul...
The largest division in USPSA is Production and IDPA is Stock Service Pistol. Plenty of regular looking guns there. The flashy Open or Limited guns get a bunch of press, but there are way more "stock" guns. The biggest contenders are Probably Glock, then Smith M&P, then maybe 320. The 320 has brought Sig back to the race after their previous guns were mostly forgotten in competition. Many of those are X5s and X5 Legions in racier divisions though. You may catch an occasional VP9 nowadays, but infrequently.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bob wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 am Mac - you would seriously shoot someone with a gun that has an inner tube on the grip? What are the police gonna say when they confiscate it?!?!?

"You got an extended threaded barrel and didn't spring for the grips? Lock him up!"
Hanging my head in shame :oops: What can I say, my hands sweat and the grip gets slippery. Going to have to look for your grips so I can be cool like you. :D Honestly I didn't know about those grip panels.

In regards to the XDs. Back when the HS2000 came out (around 2000) I bought one of the first ones. I had a Glock 19 at the time and the HS2000 had some nice features that the Glock didn't have. Steel sights, trigger, mags, easy to take down, grip safety, ambidextrous mag release. I took to the State IDPA shoot in 2001 and took second place in stock class. It got a lot of attention and I bought another one. My sons shot them in IDPA for a couple years before moving on. They each still have the HS2000 I gave them. I think SA started importing them in 2002 or 2003 and changed the name to the XD9. They subsequently came out with the XD40 (which I also have) and the XD45. I have a 9mm conversion bbl for my XD40. My XD45 is the softest shooting 45 of the 5 45s that I own. It is one of my favorite pistols.
Last edited by Mac66 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.