Coronavirus

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:00 am
Mac66 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:36 pm So far it really hasn't affected the transportation or distribution systems. That could change. We'll see.
Yes, in fact our Governor announced yesterday that weight limits on trucks is waived on trucks delivering supplies to our state. So transportation and distribution is chugging along at full speed right now. Costco still had tons of water available. Limiting it to two per customer but still literally had a good part of the back of the store massed with water. I think the TP thing simply caught retailers by surprise which is why there is a 'shortage'. Not really a shortage but just that the demand was not anticipated like it seemed to have been anticipated with water. I'm thinking by the middle of next week you'll see TP back on the shelves. The panic buyers would have already gotten their fix I would thing and it should start to level out. We'll see.

Will transportation/distribution change? Possibly. If the country went on lockdown for a couple of weeks and then stores opened again you'll get the same panic shopping initially.
Why are people buying water? Do they expect the water to be shut off or are they just idiots? Don't get that nor do I get the run on guns and ammo???? Are they expecting to have to shoot their sick loved ones. God save us from idiots.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Just idiots....

Or can't drink tap water. But mostly idiots.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well, gives us a good indicator of what would happen if there was a REAL national emergency.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I don't think so. I think this is not even close to what would happen if a real spread fast-kill many bug was out there.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

So far Illinois has:
-Closed schools
-Closed State parks and IDNR buildings/parks
-Closed State Museums and buildings
-Closed all restaurants until March 30th, drive-thru still allowed
-Closed all bars, drive thru not allowed
-Some counties, mine being one of them have banned all gatherings over 50 people
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bob wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:58 am I don't think so. I think this is not even close to what would happen if a real spread fast-kill many bug was out there.
Even so it is a good indication on how the Govt and public responds or is slow to respond. Yes, if the virus was more deadly response would have been quicker...maybe. Borders would have been shut down and self quarantine activated sooner...maybe. Likely response will be better the next time. But I don't think anyone would have anticipated the run on toilet paper, bottled water, and/or guns & ammo for that matter simply because of a virus. Likewise the shut down of the economy. Lessons learned for the next time.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I don't think that swift of a response will ever happen. The people/business would provide too much of a backlash. A reasonable staged level of response would never be accepted, even though it is the right approach.

I'm not surprised. What you are seeing is what MOST people do: Go to the store every 48 hours for basic things they need or think they need.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:55 am So far Illinois has:
You could have stopped at "Illinois" - we know it is bad...
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

FYI
Most states have a webpage up concerning the virus. They range from statistics of infection to laws/orders to how to prepare. In may states they separate information by regular citizens from health care providers, to first responders etc. All the info is available to anyone. I found a page on testing N95 respirators that are past expiration dates. They tested them and found the vast majority still good. This was done to see if they could release these expired N95s for distribution if needed. There is a lot of info on these websites so take a look.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Well, been a crazy 48 hours as one of our job site have had 2 people test positive for COVID-19.