What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2020

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2020

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:33 am Wow those tomatoes look nice.
Yeah, can't wait to try them!
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We bought a couple more planting plots today and going to throw out a few more items.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Wife was at Walmart and found 30lbs bags of ice melt on clearance for $0.25 per bag. So, we now have 120lbs of ice melt and we are all set for next winter. Most likely, we are set for next three or four winters, but for 25 cents a bag, you couldn't pass up the deal and we will eventually use it all.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Spent last weekend at the cabin. My son and his wife came up and he brought all his toys including his supressors. He's got a lot of nice stuff but we did shoot the 357s i.e, Security 6, Dan Wessons and the Timberwolf a lot. Back this week on the reloading bench cranking out a couple hundred more 38s. Lots of fun to run the 38s through the pump gun. Put a couple thousand 22s through the Keltec P17s with his suppressor. That's really a nice setup, quiet enough that you don't need hearing protection.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:01 am Wife was at Walmart and found 30lbs bags of ice melt on clearance for $0.25 per bag. So, we now have 120lbs of ice melt and we are all set for next winter. Most likely, we are set for next three or four winters, but for 25 cents a bag, you couldn't pass up the deal and we will eventually use it all.
I guess I'm not familiar with 'ice melt'. Must be a northern thing :D
Mac66 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:21 am Spent last weekend at the cabin. My son and his wife came up and he brought all his toys including his supressors. He's got a lot of nice stuff but we did shoot the 357s i.e, Security 6, Dan Wessons and the Timberwolf a lot. Back this week on the reloading bench cranking out a couple hundred more 38s. Lots of fun to run the 38s through the pump gun. Put a couple thousand 22s through the Keltec P17s with his suppressor. That's really a nice setup, quiet enough that you don't need hearing protection.
That sounded like a lot of fun. A home range would be awesome!
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:53 am
Bmyers wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:01 am Wife was at Walmart and found 30lbs bags of ice melt on clearance for $0.25 per bag. So, we now have 120lbs of ice melt and we are all set for next winter. Most likely, we are set for next three or four winters, but for 25 cents a bag, you couldn't pass up the deal and we will eventually use it all.
I guess I'm not familiar with 'ice melt'. Must be a northern thing :D
Mac66 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:21 am Spent last weekend at the cabin. My son and his wife came up and he brought all his toys including his supressors. He's got a lot of nice stuff but we did shoot the 357s i.e, Security 6, Dan Wessons and the Timberwolf a lot. Back this week on the reloading bench cranking out a couple hundred more 38s. Lots of fun to run the 38s through the pump gun. Put a couple thousand 22s through the Keltec P17s with his suppressor. That's really a nice setup, quiet enough that you don't need hearing protection.
That sounded like a lot of fun. A home range would be awesome!
Couple things about suppressors since this was my first time using them. I've shot suppressed guns before but never in 308, 223, 45 or 9mm.

First, you still need hearing protection when using centerfire but suppressors make them a lot more pleasant to shoot. We were shooting his 308 bolt action in the food plot at 125 yards, then his 300 Blackout, then his 223/556 AR without then with his suppressor. Amazing difference.

Second, hanging a can off the end of the barrel makes a big difference in recoil. We were shooting his FN tactical 45 acp with mini optic and extended mags. It was like shooting a low powered 9mm. His Poly80 build Glock 19 with suppressor was even easier to shoot.

Third, a 22, whether rifle or pistol is all kinds of fun suppressed. Couldn't stop shooting the p17. We would shoot one of his centerfires and then always go back to the suppressed P17. Shot it until it was too hot to hold, let it cool and then shot it again and again.

Fourth, I gotta get me some suppressors!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

That P17 is really turning out to be a gem of a find.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

1. I tried to have all my dental and medical work done by the end of January. However, something medical came up in April. The HMO's e-visit, telephonic conference approaches that were implemented did not work. I put pressure on this am and had a "minor procedure" this afternoon.
2. the panic buying has stopped. Large packages of toilet paper are on the shelf at an institutional store. The house had used at least two of the cases that I purchased in early January. That was when I bulked up the preps. Those two used cases have now been replaced. Plenty of soap and cleaners other than lysol on the shelves. I made an observation of what was not there. Gallon containers of 70% isopropyl at $18 a gallon. I have seen rip off ads would price it at $56 a gallon because a promoter is putting in a smidgen of aloe vera.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

bdcochran wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:15 pm 1. I tried to have all my dental and medical work done by the end of January. However, something medical came up in April. The HMO's e-visit, telephonic conference approaches that were implemented did not work. I put pressure on this am and had a "minor procedure" this afternoon.
2. the panic buying has stopped. Large packages of toilet paper are on the shelf at an institutional store. The house had used at least two of the cases that I purchased in early January. That was when I bulked up the preps. Those two used cases have now been replaced. Plenty of soap and cleaners other than lysol on the shelves. I made an observation of what was not there. Gallon containers of 70% isopropyl at $18 a gallon. I have seen rip off ads would price it at $56 a gallon because a promoter is putting in a smidgen of aloe vera.
Well, Costco isn't crowded any more than it was before the panic and they are no longer limiting the number of people let into the stores. Shelves are well stocked with just about everything.

Hopefully ammo prices will fall back to "normal" soon. Cases of just about every kind of ammo have been running about $100/case more than it was six months ago. Going up to my cabin every week for 3-4 days I've been doing a lot more shooting and am depleting my stockpile. Of course I've also been shooting a lot of reloads but I need to replenish my stash of main calibers soon.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Yes Dave, ice melt is more of a northern thing. Although, my guess is that we get more ice in the Mid-west than they get up north since our temps bounce back and forth around freezing. They get more snow up north, we get blessed with the a mix of weather.