What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2020

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2020

Post by tom mac »

Nothing planted here yet, was freezing ( 30F ) last night and maybe tonight.

Making another list to backfill items when things calm down
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Well I just primed 200 38spl cases and another 100 44 mag cases.

I currently have 260 loaded 44 mags and another 178 primed and ready to go cases. That's probably enough to last the rest of my life. ;) As those will unlikely to be used for anything other than hunting

My goal is to have 500 38 spls loaded to be alternately used for SD and practice. Perhaps 100 of those will be specifically for SD i.e hollow points, but most will be moderate loads using semi wad cutter bullets. I have thousands of cases and SWC bullets so I may eventually load up 1K of them. I would like some to train my wife/family in the use of revolvers.

I currently have 250 357s loaded with another 100 primed empties ready. Most of the 357s are pretty heavy hunting/SD loads. I loaded about 50 bear loads using 158 gr hard cast lead bullets. They are very HOT out of my 6" Dan Wesson. Normally you would want something with little heavier bullet for bear i.e 180+ grain but I had the hard cast and they will work just fine on black bears. I am curious to see what they do out of my Security Six snubby.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I just loaded 100 38 spls. I used pretty mild loads in both 158 gr and 125 gr bullets. Will try them out when I go back up to the cabin the end of this week or early next week. I also deprimed and tumbled/cleaned another 500 38 cases. I think about 100 will be self defense loads and stashed away. Another hundred or two will be for plinking. I have another 500 empty 38 casings that need to deprimed and tumbled for cleaning.

And earlier in the week I knocked down the wood pile some more. Making a big mess but that'l be cleaned up.

Updated

Friday...5/8
I deprimed and cleaned the other 500 38s I had along with about 100 more of various calibers I had laying around. I also loaded 100 more 38s, 50 158 gr & 50 125 gr SWCs.

Updated Sat 5/9

I reprimed 100 44 mag cases, 200 38s & 150 357s.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Well our plants are coming up. We have potatoes, tomatoes, onions, peppers, peas, green beans, lettuce, and carrots all popping up through the dirt.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:13 am Well our plants are coming up. We have potatoes, tomatoes, onions, peppers, peas, green beans, lettuce, and carrots all popping up through the dirt.
It's very rewarding to see the effort pay off isn't it! We're getting tomatoes now on the three plants we planted a few weeks ago. One of them is a type we've never tried before, an OSU blue tomato.

I had never even known there were blue tomatoes before. We went to a local nursury to pick up a few items and while we were there picked up an eggplant, another kale and three tomato plants including the blue one. As soon as I saw it I was fascinated by it. Suppose to be less acidic than other tomatoes and sweet.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Still pretty cold (30s) at night up here and has been snowing off and on the past couple days so no planting. My wife usually doesn't start until after Memorial day.

Been cleaning out the back room (where I keep all my gun stuff) in the basement. Reorganized my ammo stash, reloading supplies etc. Consolidated some of the partial cases of ammo into smaller 30 cal plastic ammo cans (from Harbor Freight) as Grab and Go boxes. Each holds 200-400 rounds depending on caliber. The idea being if I'm going up to the cabin I can just grab a can of ammo and go which should give me enough ammo to last awhile. The smaller cans make it easier to carry. A 50 cal can with 1K rounds of AK/SKS/AR ammo tends to weigh a lot. Plus the smaller cans fit in places the bigger cans don't, which could be important if I ever have to bug out.

Still gotta do the 308s/7.62x51 NATO and 2 or 3 kinds of 7.62x39 (AK/SKS) ammo as well as 40 cal. Still looking for the case of 40 cal I bought last summer.

I think I'm gonna need more ammo cans. Usually buy them when they get down to $2.99/ea at HF. Right now they are $3.49 so for just $.50 difference I make just make a run and buy another half dozen or so.

I initially used duct tape as labels but it leaves a residue and is difficult to remove sometimes. Switched to painter's tape since I had about a dozen rolls left over from a paint job. It's easy to peel off and change if needed. Looking at the photo I've since gone back and changed the labels on some of them to make the front just the caliber in big numbers and put the details of bullet weight and number on the top.
Last edited by Mac66 on Fri May 15, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

( very nice above )

Added vacuum sealed 10 mylar bags, (10 lbs of lentils) ,into a 5 gall bucket

( we do use them over the year and the amount gets rotated via usage )
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I have finally accepted that the shortages will continue for years. Figured out how to avoid social distancing which will go on for years and found more unused storage space to use for stockpiling preps. Placed a couple of orders.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Find that many places either have very high prices on storage type foods, expect they will remain high for a while.

But a lot of the places still offer bulk with fairly good prices.... all depends on your needs and storage ability
I look for bulk sellers and/or granaries
You can't fix stupid !
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Wow those tomatoes look nice.