Survival & Freedom #4: Retirement

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Survival & Freedom #4: Retirement

Post by Mac66 »

As I mentioned in the sleeping in your car thread there is a whole subculture of people who live in their vans, campers, RVs, etc. Some because they have to, some because they want to. It's a cheap way to live and if you have any money coming in you can live pretty good. If not you can work/camp.

Those without health care seem to hang out in the south west. Plenty of free places to camp and accessible to cheap health care in Mexico. There are Mexican towns along the border whose main industry is providing cheap health care to Americans.

Check out the movie Nomadland if you get Hulu. Or the book by the same name which goes into the issued more in depth. The film is a fictionalized version of the book.

Oh..I grew up with vans. My first new car was a van I made into a camper van. I built several over the years and my wife and I used them until the kids were born. We then changed to travel trailers.

These days If it was just me hitting the road full time I think I would opt for a lightweight pop top pickup truck camper to stay in and a small motorcycle/scooter to get around on.