Hurricane season 2020 is upon us...

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Hurricane season 2020 is upon us...

Post by Bmyers »

Busy season this year.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:14 am Busy season this year.
Big time! Just looking at the tropical forecast a moment ago. One storm in the Gulf and three in the Atlantic. Fortunately, other than Bermuda right now Paulette looks like it will hook back north-eastward into open water. TS Teddy is forecast to become a Cat 3 in the direction of Bermuda but no projections beyond next weekend yet. The third TS Vicky looks to fizzle out by Friday which is fine with me. :shock:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Going to Key West Wednesday!
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

When does the hurricane season end (realizing Mother Nature doesn't always follow the calendar and this is 2020)?
fishingjeff
Board Founder

Post by fishingjeff »

Normally ends on Nov 30th. But Mother Nature doesn't always check her calender.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:06 pm When does the hurricane season end (realizing Mother Nature doesn't always follow the calendar and this is 2020)?
As Jeff stated, June 1st to Nov 30th. Of course an early or late storm can pop up, but storms like this need warm water to fuel them. When the water starts to cool down it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain strength or even form. That's why in mid-summer you can see a TS increase rapidly into a Cat 2 or higher in a matter of hours.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Thanks for the info
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:14 pm Thanks for the info
You bet :)

Living in Florida for any length of time you start to really pick up on how these things develop and are tracked. For example;
  • Fast moving storms make strengthening difficult because of the top level wind shear. Conversely, slow moving storms can gain strength quickly and can be devastating due to the amount of rain dumped in an area as well as time in the wind zones.
  • Warm water fuels the storm.
  • The lower the barometer the stronger the storm
  • The upper left quadrant of the storm is typically the strongest.
  • It depends upon what direction a storm is coming from, and if it's above or below your area as to if water gets pushed into a bay or out of a bay. I've seen Tampa Bay extremely low due to the direction of an approaching storm. One time you could literally have walked out into Tampa Bay several football field distances that was normally 15 feet under water.
  • It is difficult for a storm to maintain Cat 4 or higher status for any length of time.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Hurricane Delta blew up from a TS to a Cat 4 at this moment. Forecast to drop to a Cat 3 as it moves across the Yucatan peninsula then back up to a Cat 4. That is quite scary. Right now the cone of uncertainty is pretty much square on Louisiana and my prayers are for all of those folks. I very much pray that it weakens dramatically!

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Seems like they just keep getting hit in the same area over and over and over again.