What items are you missing or short of ?

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: What items are you missing or short of ?

Post by Mac66 »

I stopped at Costco on the way home from my cabin last week. It was in more rural area than the one I usually shop at. No lines this time.

Since I'm still eating Keto (no bread, carbs etc) we've been living on fresh (lots of venison left) and canned meats, cheese, eggs, almonds and green vegetables. Costco has cans of chicken we like for chicken salad. The last time I was there they limited purchase to 1 six can pack and tuna to one 8 can pack. This time tuna was still restricted to two 12 packs but unrestricted on cans of chicken. I bought 2 packs of tuna and 6 packs of chicken. I also bought 4 large bottles of olive oil, 4 large jars of mayo, and 6 2# bags of almonds.

My wife usually does the shopping but stopping at Costco recently made be realize that I could stock up on canned meat i.e, tuna and chicken for the future. Since we eat it a lot for lunch no reason not to stock up and rotate it.
Last edited by Mac66 on Mon May 18, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Yeah, seems like things are getting back to normal around here as well. We were also at Costco on Friday and don't recall seeing any restrictions on any items and they had pallets of TP at the end of isles so that panic seems to have mostly subsided. Aldi had a line going in though and they were on the clicker as to how many they were letting in at a time.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

The whole line at the stores, I avoid shopping during the holidays because of lines, so I'm avoiding stores now because of it.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Went to Lowes the last couple of days for gardening supplies. Seems like a lot of folks over the weekend were out getting supplies as well. Good to see folks at least doing gardening work. I consider growing your own food a substantial prep in and of itself. While I'm sure a lot were just lawn and ornamental stuff, I'd like to think a lot were also planting food and getting into gardening and such.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Mac66 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:01 pm
My wife usually does the shopping but stopping at Costco recently made be realize that I could stock up on canned meat i.e, tuna and chicken for the future. Since we eat it a lot for lunch no reason not to stock up and rotate it.
Store what you eat, eat what you store!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Been over a year and a half since this thread started. With the great TP shortage of 2020, among other supplies, how are you fairing in 2021?

Bogart

Post by Bogart »

We are doing well, I have always tried to keep at least a six month supply of the things we use. I have not gardened in a very long time but have been stocking up on items to start a garden to help feed the wife and I. How about you David
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bogart wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:54 pm How about you David
Overall I feel pretty good. Getting a bit short on paper towels but that's easy enough to remedy. We are having a 'Butler's Pantry' built at our new home so when it's complete we'll have additional room for more food preps. It will be a lot easier to access than the storage space we have now.

Feel pretty good as far as medical supplies and supplements. My wife is really good at keeping us stocked up well for supplements and I've slowly been adding to the home FAK to include blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, pulse oximeter and I have the EKG on my apple watch.

Bogart

Post by Bogart »

First aid, supplements and vitamins are good to have. I also have a good supply of them. I started my prepping with the 1999, 2000 computer scare and have kept up since. I got a pretty decent blood pressure cuff this summer when my insurance company offered them. I learned that my blood pressure is kinda high. I'm not much for doctors but got an appointment coming up.

Shine on!