Woods carry

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.

What is your preferred caliber for woods carry?

.22lr
11%
38 Special
11%
357 magnum
11%
44 magnum
No votes
9mm
No votes
40 S&W
11%
357sig
11%
10mm
11%
45acp
22%
Other, please discuss in a post.
11%

Total votes: 9

David
Administrator

Re: Woods carry

Post by David »

I know the G21 is a great pistol and has a lot of durability in it, but the more I read about the HK45 and USP 45 the more I like them. I'm tossing around the pros and cons of the Glock and HK. As I mentioned, I really don't have a pressing need for either the 45 Super or 10mm in my area. The 9, 40 or 357 would suffice just fine. This is more of a 'just retired, looking for a fun pistol project just because' sort of thing. The G21 would give me access to 10mm a lot easier than the HK (It's possible with HK but really gotta jump through some hoops to make it work and it's a lot more cost/effort than I really want to put into it). The G21 is just a barrel, spring and ejector swap. The HK on the other hand...well, it's an HK and I wouldn't have to do anything to it for the limited amount of Super shooting I'd be doing. And with 45 Super you really don't have a need for 10mm. Although 10mm is probably a bit more available than 45 Super.

So I'm just kicking the tires for each. :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

The HK "cool" factor is simply untouchable by Glock. The fact that the only mod an HK needs is a Muzzle Brake because you can't shoot well enough fast enough? Enough said...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I have added a poll to this thread. This is a general poll to vote for what caliber you'd feel most comfortable with while in the woods. Only 10 choices can be listed so obviously I can detail all possible calibers, so if your choice isn't on the poll please chose 'other' and then post what your choice would be and why you like it.

:)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I voted other because I'm more inclined towards the 45Super, but either the 10mm or 357mag would be fine choices for me.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:24 pm I voted other because I'm more inclined towards the 45Super, but either the 10mm or 357mag would be fine choices for me.
Still thinking about either 45 Super or 10mm....

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I can't decide. I carry in the woods a lot. Sometimes my 44 mag, sometimes my 357 mag, sometimes a 22, sometimes a 45 acp and most often I just carry what I happen to EDC which is a 9mm because that's what i have in my pocket.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:56 pm I can't decide. I carry in the woods a lot. Sometimes my 44 mag, sometimes my 357 mag, sometimes a 22, sometimes a 45 acp and most often I just carry what I happen to EDC which is a 9mm because that's what i have in my pocket.
I changed the poll so that folks can make several selections. It was a good point because there are times when you may need a .22lr and other times a .44 magnum depending on what you’re doing.

ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

OK. I just posted on the 357mag/sig question. Here I'll add .22lr to the list. I've done more woods walking with a .22 of some sort than anything else. So my picks were .22lr, 38spec, and 357mag. When I have toted a .357 I have always carried some .38 rounds as well. Especially some shot shells. Variety is the spice of life they say.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

As I mentioned in the Newest gun or latest upgrade thread, I purchased an HK USP 45. This reminded me of a thread from that guy up in Alaska who had a thread a while back on the 45acp and how popular it is in Alaska. I know my uncle had both a 45acp and a 44 magnum during the 30 years they lived up there.

Seems like with the proper load it would make a more than decent consideration for a woods carry pistol.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Updating as yesterday the G21 became the official woods carry pistol. :)

Bought a simple belt slide holster that works for IWB/OWB. It worked great and fit the G21 well. Just enough to cover the trigger guard and hold it in place. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was IWB during my walk being it's a larger pistol. But it worked great.

Went for a 5 mile hike with my nieces husband for the first outing with the G21 in this holster, IWB. As I mentioned above, surprisingly comfortable and wasn't a bother for the whole hike. Never carried a pistol that large IWB so I wasn't sure what to expect. But no issues.

Normally I like the whole pistol covered but in this case with the G21 being a police trade-in and having some holster wear on the front end of the slide that holster was just fine. If it gets a bit more wear on the slide, so be it. It's a woods-carry pistol not a safe queen.