Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by David »

I had some scratch because I sold my Glock 22. I was offered way more than I paid for it so figured 'what the heck'. Really didn't know what I wanted and really didn't need anything but it's always fun to look.

Saw a Sig P226 for sale. $650 OBO and after talking with him agreed to $575. Police trade-in. Minor and expected wear in some places on the slide and frame but nothing to be concerned over. Beautiful G10 Piranha grips were installed. He replaced all the internals i.e. springs and firing pin. And the mags feel 'like new' stiff even though they have the normal outside wear so the springs in them seem to be GTG. He changed out the sights for fiber optic front and rear.

Came in 40S&W and he also had the 357sig barrel to go with the deal. Three 12-round mags. The 40S&W has the normal 'smiley' wear but the 357sig barrel looks to have been shot very little, no wear marks on the outside. He was a smaller stature man and said he really couldn't handle the 357sig as he has small hands. Hoping to hit the range tomorrow with my son so I'll give it a go and see what my impressions are with both loads.

Felt like $575 was a good deal for all that was included.

Fully loaded it weighs in at 39.5 ounces. I may think about adding a 9mm conversion barrel to make it a 3-n-1 platform. I'll put a little thought into it.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Looks like the grips are actually Sig Sauer P226 G10 Traditional Saw Cut Texture. I like the look :)

https://coolhandgear.com/catalog/produc ... d-226-t-5/
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

The 226 is a great gun... IMO rock solid.
I have over 10k thru mine and still functions flawless
( btw I have a bunch of main springs that were given to me if you need one , orig for a 9mm but I believe it's the same spring )
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:11 am The 226 is a great gun... IMO rock solid.
I have over 10k thru mine and still functions flawless
( btw I have a bunch of main springs that were given to me if you need one , orig for a 9mm but I believe it's the same spring )
Thank you, that may be useful if/when I pick up a 9mm conversion barrel for it. Doing a bit of research hasn't really cleared up the question of converting it to 9mm though. Called Sig, they said a 9mm slide (like an X-caliber change kit) won't fit on my frame because it's marked 'Frame Made in Germany'. On some forums folks have said they simply drop in a standard Sig 9mm barrel and it functions fine. On other forums folks have said you need a conversion barrel like Bar-Sto and it's great and others have said don't use Bar-Sto they suck. One commonality is that it seems (like Glock) you can shoot 9mm out of a 40S&W magazine.

Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

Well it has been a very long time since I have posted.... David that is a beautiful P226. I have done a fair amount of shooting of my collection but I also have a bunch of additions:

P320 357Sig and 40s&w barrel - Shoots great (not sure if I posted I picked this up awhile ago)
P365 MS- Love it and it shoots great.
Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56 - Shoots great topped it with a Sig Whiskey3 4-12x40
P320 X5 MAX - Picking up on Father's Day when I am training at Sig Academy
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Horskinator wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:31 am David that is a beautiful P226.
Thanks, I've been very pleased with it.
Horskinator wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:31 am P320 357Sig and 40s&w barrel
How's the recoil with the 357 barrel?
Horskinator wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:31 am P365 MS- Love it and it shoots great.
What can you say, whether you like Sig or not they hit it out of the park with the P365 and the variants.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Picked up a Tippmann M4-22 Pro today. I've been wanting something a little better suited to rimfire 2Gun and tactical style shooting. My 10/22s are geared more to other events.
I'll play with it tomorrow. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I've already picked a replacement. It'll get either an Aimpoint Comp ML3 or T1 since I have both sitting in the safe unused. Might get some Magpul furniture ordered today too.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Had to look that up as I was unfamiliar with it. Really looks nice. I can imagine it will be an outstanding shooter for you. :)

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

David wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:12 pm Had to look that up as I was unfamiliar with it. Really looks nice. I can imagine it will be an outstanding shooter for you. :)
I have yet to see a bad review. I like that it's a little more solid feeling than the M&P15-22. It'll take some upgrading to get where I want it, but that's pretty much how everything is for me. The mag design is interesting and appears to really help reliability according to reviews. I'll try to keep updating as I play with it.
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

The P320 in 357 Sig is definitely snappy. But it is still manageable. I would not want to be on the other end that is for sure.