Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:10 pm I'm really hoping that it is a solid pistol and she likes shooting it. I want it to be something that she is really comfortable with and wants to shoot often.
$287 is a steal for a TX22. Grab it. There was one for sale on a local forum recently for $300. It lasted 10 minutes and was gone before I could even respond. If I could find one I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Particularly now, I'm looking for P17s or TX22s to use in my CPL classes since you can't find centerfire ammo or replace it. I have lots of 22.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:18 am $287 is a steal for a TX22. Grab it. There was one for sale on a local forum recently for $300. It lasted 10 minutes and was gone before I could even respond. If I could find one I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Particularly now, I'm looking for P17s or TX22s to use in my CPL classes since you can't find centerfire ammo or replace it. I have lots of 22.
Good, I was hoping it was a good price. It's sitting on the coffee table right now. Plan to clean and lube it up for a range trip on Monday (I hope). What is the availability of 22lr these days? What's the price? I haven't bought any in years and have a decent stash of various bulk and premium brands.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:54 am
Mac66 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:18 am $287 is a steal for a TX22. Grab it. There was one for sale on a local forum recently for $300. It lasted 10 minutes and was gone before I could even respond. If I could find one I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Particularly now, I'm looking for P17s or TX22s to use in my CPL classes since you can't find centerfire ammo or replace it. I have lots of 22.
Good, I was hoping it was a good price. It's sitting on the coffee table right now. Plan to clean and lube it up for a range trip on Monday (I hope). What is the availability of 22lr these days? What's the price? I haven't bought any in years and have a decent stash of various bulk and premium brands.
Congrats! Good choice. As for 22s, someone locally just reported 325 packs on sale for $18 at Walmart limit of 3. That's about the first I've heard of any for sale, let alone at that price. It won't last long.

I've have somewhere over 50,000 rounds of 22 stashed away so I won't need any for awhile. Hopefully enough to weather the storm.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I'd love to find some of those bulk packs for $18. I'll have to check the WM's locally and see what's available. Thanks.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:41 am I'd love to find some of those bulk packs for $18. I'll have to check the WM's locally and see what's available. Thanks.
I think the key is being there the day the shipment arrives. So try and find out when the ammo shipments come in.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:03 pm
David wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:41 am I'd love to find some of those bulk packs for $18. I'll have to check the WM's locally and see what's available. Thanks.
I think the key is being there the day the shipment arrives. So try and find out when the ammo shipments come in.
I have some errands to run tomorrow. I have four WM within 15 minutes or less of the house, two are Super Centers. So I'll see if I can do a little checking. I don't have 50k rounds, probably 2k or a tad more. So any/all I can find at a reasonable price will be nice.

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Not looking for a pistol ( got enough now ) but looking for a good lever action rifle...
going to be a pistol type round as it's easier to reload.( straight walled )
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:29 am I've not been real impressed with the kydex holster I bought for my P365XL w/TLR-6. The portion on the rear bottom seems to stick out a good couple of inches from my belt rather than laying flush against my body. The same type holster for my P365 did not do this so it seems the extra material needed for the XL is too much. And to be honest, comparing them I just don't see where it was necessary to increase the size in that area.

At any rate, I decided to try a SnapSlide OWB holster from Crossbreed.

From the photo it looks like it will hug the body a lot better than what I currently have. Purchased it with a natural cowhide back and FDE kydex shell. That way it matches my magazine carrier which of course is very important that they match :lol:
Came in the mail today. Tried it on and immediate like it better than the other kydex holster I was using. Feels better, holds closer to the body and doesn't stick out in the back like the other one did. Only 'possible' negative is the muzzle sticks out below the bottom of the holster rather than being completely covered. Probably not going to be an issue, just always worried about the end of the barrel getting nicked up or the sight being knocked out of whack. But I think it's going to work just fine.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

After nearly 30 years of black equipment (pistols, taser, equipment holsters etc) I wanted something different. So the kydex shell is FDE and the leather is natural cowhide. Kinda matches my mag holster, which of course is really important. :D

So like I mentioned above, the only issue is that I wish they would have covered the muzzle of the pistol. And part of the lens is exposed on the bottom. Either is probably not a huge issue, but I think it would have been better to have them covered more completely.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well, I've printed out the return form for the the Crossbreed holster. After wearing if for about a week I've determined it's just not going to work. When the holster is inserted there is far too much gap between the top of the pistol and the front of the holster. While some gap is needed for a sight channel this is too much and the pistol moves back and forth even when on the body. And I just don't like that much slide exposed through the bottom of the holster. So back it goes.