Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by Ronin.45 »

They have always been known as smooth and accurate. I'm no lever gun guy, but free would be nice.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I'm not a lever guy either but I have a number of lever guns. They just sort of accumulated.

Savage 99 in 303 Sav made in 1903
Savage 99 in 308, 1970s vintage
Both the above inherited from my father, though I did give him the 308 in the 80s.

Winchester 94 made in 1940. Bought cheap at a police auction in the 80s
Marlin 336 in 35 Rem, late 80s vintage. Traded a $80 chinese SKS for it in the 90s
Marlin 375, 375 Win, early 80's vintage. Bought new
Remington Nylon 76, 22 early 60's vintage. $100 Pawn shop find in the 90's. I collect Remington nylon rifles.
and....
the Henry Golden Boy... free is nice.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

It has been a while since I was last on the forum or made any posts. So, here's to catching up!

My latest upgrade is a 9mm conversion barrel for my 23.4. I hope to get to the range this week and put it through its paces. I got 5 G19 mags and put +2 extensions on 3 of them. This will become my nightstand gun provided the conversion barrel isn't problematic. I will put a TLR-7A on it, too. Which means getting another holster. Ah, yes!

My 22.3 will eventually get a similar upgrade. My plan is to go ahead and order G17 mags now before they are legislated away.

I also put a TLR-6 on my P365. I have the laser dialed in to sit on top of my front sight post at 7 yards. It'll make the range trip as well to confirm point of aim/impact.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

ratf51 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:22 am My latest upgrade is a 9mm conversion barrel for my 23.4.
Sweet! That really makes the pistol so much more versatile. What brand? Any plans for a 357sig barrel to complete the package?
ratf51 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:22 am My 22.3 will eventually get a similar upgrade.
I've got the 9mm conversion barrel for my G22.4 as well. Still would like to get the 357sig barrel just to top it off :)

As a side note, you can shoot 9mm out of a G23/22 mag. I'm not recommending it but it is possible if for some reason you had to. Years ago when I was doing my annual qualification with my G19.3 I inadvertently grabbed some G23 mags from the safe (I had a G23.3 as well). I was halfway through qual when I realized I had been shooting 9mm out of my 40S&W mags. Again, not a recommendation but it's a good tip to know it can be done.

Now you're making me want a G23 again...
ratf51 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:22 am I also put a TLR-6 on my P365.
More sweetness :D
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Brand on the conversion barrel is a Double Diamond from the GlockStore. Yes, this is a slippery slope and I do want to eventually get the 357Sig barrel because it completes the set, so to speak. My plan is to run some 9mm through a .40 mag just to give it a go. It is nice to know that it can be done.

I am very happy with the TLR-6. Depending on how I do with the laser I may have to wait until I can step up to a TLR-8 for the 23. Gotta get to the range this week!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

ratf51 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:22 am I also put a TLR-6 on my P365.
ratf51 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:17 pm I am very happy with the TLR-6.
The TLR-6 is what I have on my P365 as well. Beam shots are on pg 5 here:

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=257&start=40

It is quite sufficient. I've noticed that if using it outdoors I can still clearly see the night sights as well. I find that to be a nice plus. It really adds little weight to an already light pistol and not much bulk either as the majority of the light is below the barrel and in front of the trigger guard. I turned the laser off on mine as I really never dialed it in. But it's nice to have it in case I decide to use it.

I've been very satisfied with it and carry some extra button batteries in my EDC sling bag for it as well.

I've used it a time or two as well. Several months ago my wife and I were out at our property after dark. My main flashlight's batteries went dim so I pulled out the pistol to finish up. It was way out with no one around so it wasn't like it was going to alarm anyone. And it worked quite well.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

The TLR-6 is producing almost the same lumens as the first tactical light I bought 15 years ago. At that time one of the most popular gun lights was only producing about 60 lumens and that was considered great. It is more than enough for indoor use. No, it probably is not going to blind someone but it will definitely allow me to see clearly. In the vein of something I posted elsewhere-- this volume of light from this size of a device was unheard of 20 years ago and 40 years ago it would have been magic. To quote Capt. Jack Aubrey, "What a wonderful technological age we live in."

I gotta get spare batteries-- thanks for the reminder.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

ratf51 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:08 am In the vein of something I posted elsewhere-- this volume of light from this size of a device was unheard of 20 years ago and 40 years ago it would have been magic. To quote Capt. Jack Aubrey, "What a wonderful technological age we live in."
You're not kidding! I still remember being overseas (Turkey) in the mid-80's and a buddy of mine that was an SP had just been issued a Mini-Maglite. The little AA light with the incandescent bulb and thought it was bright. Then in 1989 when I had gotten out I took a security job (while waiting to be hired by the S.O.) I had a 5 D-cell maglite (still incandescent) that I thought was really bright. That is until I worked with an off-duty Clearwater Officer that had just been issue an LED rechargeable light (don't recall which one) and it blew away the 5 D-cell! Man was that bright. And compared to what is available today with even a 14500 or 18650...
ratf51 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:08 am I gotta get spare batteries-- thanks for the reminder.
You bet :)

But yes, I totally agree with the TLR-6. What kind of holster do you have for it?

ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Holster: I got 2-- a Remora that doesn't quite work for carry. Not so much a problem with the holster, per se, but how I chose it to be cut. I should've gone with what I believe they refer to as their Artemis cut. It shaves some off of the side of the holster allowing better grip purchase. I have other Remoras and I really like them. My bad on this one. The other is a Concealment Express paddle holster. It just came in last week. So far I am liking it. Good retention (maybe too good, but that will smooth out with time) and easy on/off. Conceals well, maybe not as good as a pancake rig, but well enough. I note that they are both FL companies. Kudos to your state!

In 1984 I bought a 5 D-cell Maglite. It was bright enough to turn off street lights. I still have it and I recently upgraded the old LED bulb (a replacement of the old incandescent) that produced about 80 lumens to one that produces about 360. I have a lot of sentimental attachment to that light. And it is still only middle of the pack on brightness scale of the flashlights I currently have.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I had a pile of maglights. Gave away the parts from the ones that failed. Removed the batteries from the good units and retired them. Have probably 15 upgrade led bulbs that are new and never installed. Keeping the units together. As you write, they fall somewhere in the pack of lights.

If I had relative living nearby who would upgrade, use the lights and so forth, I would have passed them on. Now, they sit as reserves.