So, SCCY...

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: So, SCCY...

Post by David »

Those normally come with only one mag. A 2pk of mags is around $40 not counting the cost of the holsters. So yeah, good deal and I'm glad it went through.

We've talked about the LC9(s) before, it's a good pistol. I was actually carrying that more than my G26 prior to getting the P365. If I hadn't got the Sig I'd very likely still be carrying the LC9s. Thing is just made for concealed carry with the melted edges and thinness.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

My brother liked carrying the LC9 I lent him, though he hasn't shot it. He's just getting used to carrying a gun. He's coming up to the new house over Memorial day weekend so we'll get a chance to shoot both of them on my range. I'm sure he will like the LC9s trigger better when compared to the LC9.

I've been carrying the LC9 or LC9s pretty much daily for 6 years. It's small enough for pocket carry or IWB with a belt clip. It's pretty much all I need. The newer double stack mini 9s are tempting but not enough to overcome the existing high prices on them.

Perhaps if prices ever come back down a Ruger Max 9 would be a good replacement. MSRP is $499. If it got down around $400 I might be interested. But an extra 2-4 rounds isn't worth $200 to me. Never really liked the S&W Shields, too square for me. Won't own another Springfield so the Hellcat is out. Don't know anything about Sigs and not sure what other hi-cap mini 9s are out there. I've always felt comfortable with Ruger.
Last edited by Mac66 on Wed May 19, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

So I picked up the LC9s today. The guy dug out another couple of holsters for a total of 4 including a pocket holster (which I wish I had for mine). Also has a dummy mag for dry firing since it has a mag disconnect. I wish I had one of those as well. Not to mention the custom case. Overall a very good deal. I would have jumped on it even if my brother didn't want it.

Oh...and the reason he sold it was because he bought a Ruger Max 9. Go figure.

Last edited by Mac66 on Wed May 19, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:59 pm So I picked up the LC9s today. The guy dug out another couple of holsters for a total of 4 including a pocket holster (which I wish I had for mine). Also has a dummy mag for dry firing since it has a mag disconnect. I wish I had one of those as well. Not to mention the custom case. Overall a very good deal. I would have jumped on it even if my brother didn't want it.

Some folks always want the latest/greatest. And that's fine because it makes for deals like you just got! :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:34 pm
Mac66 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:59 pm So I picked up the LC9s today. The guy dug out another couple of holsters for a total of 4 including a pocket holster (which I wish I had for mine). Also has a dummy mag for dry firing since it has a mag disconnect. I wish I had one of those as well. Not to mention the custom case. Overall a very good deal. I would have jumped on it even if my brother didn't want it.

Some folks always want the latest/greatest. And that's fine because it makes for deals like you just got! :)
Well he originally had an LC9 then an LC9s Pro. He was uncomfortable pocket carrying the Pro because it didn't have an external safety. He bought the regular S version so he could pocket carry it with the safety on. Then the Max came out. He bought the safety version of the Max not the Pro version.

I pocket carry my LC9s Pro everyday. Never had a problem with the trigger. I bought the Pro because I found a like new but used one with 3 mags, Talon grips and a holster for $225. I would have settled for just an S model or even a EC9s model.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

My brother came up to the new house recently and shot his LC9s. He ran about 150 rounds through it, the first couple mags to test functioning. The rest was I was teaching him some techniques, draw and firing, double taps etc. He's 68 and this was the first compact 9 he's ever shot so it took a while for him to get competent and confident. He did pretty well considering he's never had a handgun class and improved quite a bit with some coaching.

Oh...and the gun ran without a glitch. Ate everything

And my apologies for hijacking this thread... :D
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I'm glad it ran well for him. It's a good pistol that should serve him well.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

It's funny how you take for granted being able to carry and use a gun in self defense until you see someone not oriented toward that. My brother is no stranger to guns. He's hunted for over 50 years and even carried a pistol while hunting for most of that time. He knows how to shoot a pistol but carrying concealed and for self defense is a whole nuther thing. I was surprised how unsure he was drawing, handling it, lining up the sights, pulling the trigger. I worked with him on stance and grip. After I noticed him slapping the trigger (throwing his shots off) I taught him about trigger reset. I thought everybody knew about TR. His shooting improved dramatically. After that he was drawing, firing and hitting multiple targets. He wasn't fast but as they say "slow is smooth and smooth is fast". He said he didn't know what he didn't know. I encouraged him to practice dry firing/practicing at home and will continue to work with him.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

One of those laser trainers would help him with the dry fire practice as well. Gives immediate feed back.

aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Mac66 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:09 am It's funny how you take for granted being able to carry and use a gun in self defense until you see someone not oriented toward that. My brother is no stranger to guns. He's hunted for over 50 years and even carried a pistol while hunting for most of that time. He knows how to shoot a pistol but carrying concealed and for self defense is a whole nuther thing. I was surprised how unsure he was drawing, handling it, lining up the sights, pulling the trigger. I worked with him on stance and grip. After I noticed him slapping the trigger (throwing his shots off) I taught him about trigger reset. I thought everybody knew about TR. His shooting improved dramatically. After that he was drawing, firing and hitting multiple targets. He wasn't fast but as they say "slow is smooth and smooth is fast". He said he didn't know what he didn't know. I encouraged him to practice dry firing/practicing at home and will continue to work with him.
Why did Moses wonder in the desert for 40 years? He wouldn't ask for directions.

Men are like that. They don't ask for help. That is one reason suicide is higher in men than women.