Hurricane season 2020 is upon us...

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: Hurricane season 2020 is upon us...

Post by David »

TS Marco is the one in the Gulf right now, currently down around the Yucatan Penisula. Right now the forecast has it remaining a TS at landfall. That's good news for Texas. It's heading NNW at 12mph with landfall predicted for Wednesday afternoon. TS Laura continues to be revised to the west. Middle of the track takes it over the DR and Cuba which has high mountains on the east. That will help to disrupt it and keep it at TS levels. It's speed, currently 21 mph will also keep it from getting stronger. 21 mph is too fast of a pace for strong formation and it gets a lot of shear. Very good thing. Also limits the amount of rain it can dump in an area. Not forecast to become a Cat 1 until Wednesday afternoon with landfall later that night. Also good news for Louisiana although that whole area is going to get a lot of rain.

Our area is no longer in the cone of uncertainty. We are forecast to have a lot of rain all next week though. The upper right quadrant of TS/hurricanes are always the strongest and our area will have bands coming off of that area.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Looks like TS Marco will remain a TS which is a good thing. TS Laura is now forecast to reach Cat 2. Looks like the same general areas of Louisiana and Texas are going to get hit Tuesday and Wednesday. Prayers for everyone there!
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

The last I checked (just a minute ago) Laura is predicted to track through Louisiana and right over Shreveport/Bossier City. It should be a TS by that point but those are still nasty. My son and his family live in Bossier City; I'll be talking to him today.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

ratf51 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:26 am The last I checked (just a minute ago) Laura is predicted to track through Louisiana and right over Shreveport/Bossier City. It should be a TS by that point but those are still nasty. My son and his family live in Bossier City; I'll be talking to him today.
Prayers for their protection! Right now it's a Cat 1 and the new forecast has it reaching Cat 3 by the time of landfall Thursday afternoon. Attribute that to the very warm Gulf waters and that it's slowed down a bit giving it more time to form.

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Reading this morning, they are expecting it to hit Cat 4 before making landfall. Depending on how it tracks once on land, local weather is telling us we could see 3-6 inches of rain over the weekend from the storm.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Stay safe people
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

The weather service kinda muffed this one up. They originally forecast a Cat 1 and now it's a probably it's going to be a Cat 4 at landfall, that's a pretty wide error margin. Prayers for everyone in it's path!

ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

I spoke with my son last night and again this morning. He is prepping as best he can. Depending upon the strength of Laura when she makes landfall she could still be at hurricane force when she gets into northern Louisiana. We have all seen times where hurricanes suddenly strengthened before landfall as well as the converse where they suddenly weaken. The forecast track has held pretty steady. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Just looking at the latest updates for our area, it has the depression staying further south, so they have reduced the chance of rainfall to scattered showers Thursday night through Saturday. Praying everyone else is safe.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Gulf coast is now bracing for a probable Cat 1 on Tuesday. Prayers for the folks there as they're expecting 15-20 inches of rain around New Orleans.