Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Horskinator

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by Horskinator »

Picked this up in a trade today.....

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Horskinator wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:34 pm Picked this up in a trade today.....

Sweet. Someone’s is getting serious on Sigs :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

Always been a fan of Sig. But it was a good deal that I could not pass up.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Range Report:

We finally got a chance to hit the range this afternoon. This provided an opportunity to function test several pistols.

S&W 380EZ
- This is the pistol that we bought for my wife. It functioned without a single hiccup including the XTP HP's we are loading it with for defense. She was able to manipulate the slide which was a big plus since that is one of the main reasons we purchased this particular pistol for her. Very accurate. I fired the HP's as fast as I could pull the trigger and the pistol simply functioned like a gem. So this one is a big thumbs up. Now I just need to get my wife to consistently carry it with her in the CCW purse we bought for her.

Ruger LCP II .22lr - I've been looking forward to testing this pistol out. At first my wife was a little apprehensive about shooting it because she was associating it with the regular .380 version of the LCP which she definitely didn't like. After shooting the first (and only mag) to show her the almost non-existent recoil she felt at ease. We fired between 70-100 rounds through it. A couple of the Remington Golden Bullets rounds didn't go off. Primer strike looked off to one side. However, the Federal bulk pack and the CCI Mini Mag were flawless. These were the bulk of the rounds we fired. So I'm going to call this one good. I'm going to attribute the two FTF as bad rounds which isn't an oddity for .22lr.

She really liked the very light recoil and the easy racking slide. I asked her if this would be something she'd be interesting in pocket carrying and she said yes. So that's a win. I'll have it loaded with the CCI Mini Mags. Although a .22lr isn't going to stop a charging rhino, it is something that she can have on person and a .22lr on your person is better than the XYZ caliber left home.

HK USP Compact - Okay, this is the first time I've shot a USP. I originally got it in 9mm but I later bought a complete 40 S&W upper for it. I decided to put the 40 slide on and test it in this configuration. Just like it's P2000 40 S&W cousin I loved it! The texturing is a bit more aggressive than the P2000 but I didn't notice it at all while firing. And it was 'balls on' accurate! Very happy about it. I had it out around or a bit past 15 yards and head shots were a snap. I ended the session by shooting the little target in the upper left hand corner of the target at around 20 yards. Most shots were touching and all shots easily fit in less than the palm of my hand. I fired the first shot DA and the rest SA. The DA of course was a longer, heavier trigger pull but was still very crisp. Having started my career on revolvers, this DA trigger pull was a piece of cake. The SA trigger pull was like butter soft. So I'm very happy with this pistol. Now I need to make the decision to either swap the night sights from the 9mm slide to the 40 slide or purchase new sights for the 40 slide. I might see about carrying this pistol a bit to see how well I like it as an EDC. It would be the heaviest pistol I have currently in that compact size, but I have a good holster and that Kore Essential CCW gun belt so it would be a good test all the way around.

My son popped off a mag through the USPc and liked it as well.

If I like carrying the USPc I might just order sights for it. It would make a dandy 40 to carry for EDC if I handle the weight well. If not, maybe it will compete with the P2000 as a woods carry or maybe just stay as a HD pistol. In which case I'll just put the 9mm barrel back on for HD.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

I did it again...... It was lonely and needed a good home......

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Horskinator wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:45 pm I did it again...... It was lonely and needed a good home......

An Equinox? Nice looking Sig. Had one up until a couple months ago in 40 S&W. Gotta love the light and dark contrast.

Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

David wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:28 pm
Horskinator wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:45 pm I did it again...... It was lonely and needed a good home......

An Equinox? Nice looking Sig. Had one up until a couple months ago in 40 S&W. Gotta love the light and dark contrast.
P227 Equinox indeed. Looks like it was barely if ever fired.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

A good looking pistol. Enjoy it :)

Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

Range Report P227 & P320 X-VTAC

P227

What a nice shooting gun. Shot tight groups at 15 yards. Only issue to report was failure to lock back a couple times, which is odd shooting 230grn WWB FMJ. Once home I tore her down, cleaned, and lubed her up. All appears to be well after the function check and I believe she was a little dry and had not been cleaned prior to the range trip. Definitely a keeper, I just need to find more mags that are reasonably priced.

P320 X-VTAC

All I can say is wow! I acquired the sights quickly and correctly. She hit point of aim and shot tight. Definitely sights that you have to adjust to as you must level/align the dots not the blade of the sight. That took about two rounds to figure out as I did shoot a little low at first. Groups were comparable to how I shoot my M17 at 15 yds. She shoots a little softer with the slide weight reduction and the flat trigger breaks very clean. I did find myself wanting to sweep the non-existent manual safety. This gun is another keeper. I am debating if I bring it or the M17 to my Sig Academy class next week.

Best Part of this Range Trip

I got to teach my GF's daughter safe gun handling and she shot both these pistols. She had a great time and did fantastic. I might have a new shooting buddy.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

My stepfather was looking for a small pistol and asked me to keep an eye out for something economical. Someone I’ve dealt with before on a Florida gun board was selling a Keltec PF9. Came with a couple 7-round mags, Hogue grip, one of those belt clips and 125 rounds of FMJ. He was asking $275 which was within his budget and seemed like a fair price. Said he never had any issues with it. So I picked it up this evening. I’ll field strip it and make sure it’s lubed up and meet up with him tomorrow.