Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:37 pm I didn't know the G19s had ejection issues.

I go with Idots on everything I can. Best setup I've found.
From the thread I was reading, it wasn't so much an problem with ejecting brass as it was making it less likely to have an issue limp wristing or using weak ammo. Had no idea until someone mentioned it in my thread on GT.

Yeah, I've really come to like those i-Dots a lot. I didn't think I would but quickly changed my mind after having them on several pistols. Pretty reasonable as well.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

My somewhat newest

Post by Mac66 »

So...after hunting last year with my 450 Bushmaster and 350 Legend on an AR platform I decided that they would be better as a conventionally styled rifle. Getting more traditional in my old age. No one makes a conventionally styled semi auto in those calibers and since I already had the uppers built I didn't want to buy bolt actions. So what to do?

A company called Fight Lite/ formally called Ares makes/made a conventionally stocked rifle called the SCR (Sport Configurable Rifle) that is compatible with the AR platform. It is/was designed for the states where AR15s are banned. I saw them at the NRA convention 4-5 years ago and was intrigued. Any AR upper will fit on the lower. They have a proprietary bolt carrier but will take any AR bolt head that will fit.

One version of the rifle...

They eventually offered just the lower

They also came out with a pistol version called the "Raider". It uses a Shockwave pistol grip.

So I started looking for an SCR lower and learned that they had pretty much stopped making them, or were making them in small batches infrequently. Keeping my ear to the internet chatter (there's an SCR forum on AR15.com) I learned that RSR, a distributor occasionally offered the pistol lower. No one in the country had any rifle lowers. I went on a local gun forum and found an FFL who would order it for me. It arrived just before Christmas and has been sitting in the basement since then.

I've been taking my rifles and pistols up to the cabin about every week to test loads, sight them in etc so I finally dug it out and installed the bolt and put the carrier together. I took the upper off my AR pistol and installed it on the SCR pistol lower.

I'll take it to the cabin next week and try it out before installing a full stock on it. Apparently Remington 1100 stocks fit the lower without too much modification.

So the advantage of having this thing is that it is legal in all states (currently), it uses AR mags but it's not too scary looking, kind of a sleeper. I can use it to hunt with either the 450 or 350 uppers and can use any of my regular AR uppers with it.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

The new G19.5 FS with the medium beaver tail and the new i-Dot night sights that came in the mail today. Pretty easy install.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

The new M17 shot like a dream. 100 rounds 15 yds. Going to run the M18 today and hope for the same results.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Horskinator wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:37 am The new M17 shot like a dream. 100 rounds 15 yds. Going to run the M18 today and hope for the same results.
Did you drift the sight on the M18? If so, how's it shooting now?

Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

I have not gotten to drifting the sight yet on the M18. Been a busy week. I am going to try and get to the reloading bench today to roll up some 338 win mag to run down a Winchester Model 70 Classic BOSS that I picked up in January or February.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

One of the rifles I took to my property last weekend was my Kel Tec SU16. The SU is a very light (4.5lbs) nearly all polymer rifle that shoot 223/556 ammo and uses AR mags. I like my ARs but also like sporter type rifles. They tend to be more low profile and are legal in states that banned ARs.

The come in 5 different versions, mine is the B model which I bought used a couple years ago. Was always curious and interested in them and when one came up FS on a local gun forum I got it for a really really good price. Did I mention that it folds in half and that the fore arm fold out into a bipod? Or that it comes with two 10 round mags the fit in the stock (1 30 rounder will fit as well)

It is piston driven with a 16" light barrel w/1:7 twist for heavier bullets.

So I took it to my property to sight in the new Bushnell TRS25 red dot I bought for it. Sighted it at 25 yards then moved back to 50 (using my new shooting platform). Then took it out to the field and 100 yards. The red dot will work at 100, is marginal at 150 and I can't see the target at 200 yards. The rifle was fun to shoot and accurate. I put about 100 rounds through it. That night I dug out an old/cheap 4x scope and mounted it and took off the red dot. The next day I started banging steel at 200 yards. The scope worked a lot better but it's still only 4x at 200 yards. I put another 100 rounds through it.

I did have two issues with it. One is the take down pin is so small that I dropped it in the grass a couple times and it took me some time to find it. The second is that the rifle didn't come with any way to mount a sling. I like using a sling for shooting particularly at long distance. Kel Tec does offer a sling/mounting kit for about $20 on their website so I ordered one when I got home.

In mean time I went to Home Depot and bought a 1/4x1 1/4" hitch pin to replace the take down pin. While I was there I also picked up a same size clovis pin to compare them.

The clovis pin (left) has a lip at one end and a key ring hole at the other. The hitch pin has key ring/hole at one end and a detent retaining ball at the other. The factory pin sits flush on both sides of the stock and you need a bullet point or something to push it out. The hitch pin has the ring you can just pull.

Wasn't thrilled about the ring so I cut a piece of paracord and threaded it through the hole.

I think it looks better...

The clovis pin fits through from the opposite side and is held in place by the key ring.

It's not as quick to take down but creates a saddle ring/mount for a single point sling.

No real good for shooting support but an easy way to carry the rifle.

I also put an old 3-9x scope on it for shooting at longer distances. 4x was okay, but 3-9x would be better.

The SU is a fun little gun to shoot and pretty accurate. I would have no problem using it for SD or if SHTF though I have better rifles for that.
Last edited by Mac66 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Looks like it would really do well in a pinch. I like the set up.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I took my Fight Light pistol up to the cabin last week was well. I mounted my 11.5" heavy barrel pistol upper on it. It has a Primary Arms red dot.

I shot it at 15 yards and then moved back to 25. You have to hold it out in front of you at eye level since there isn't a stock and line up the red dot on the target. It is awkward to shoot. Eventually I attached a sling to the grip and holding it out under tension gave it some stability. I was able to group my shots on the target. The pistol upper is rather heavy which absorbs recoil. I then moved back to 50 yards and shot it off a rest. That upper has always been very accurate, at least MOA. I was shooting tiny groups with it at 50. I've shot MOA off a rest at 100 yards with it in the past so I knew it to be accurate.

Bottom line...

-The Raider lower is awkward to shoot. Not really sure what it's good for except wasting ammo. I didn't bother shooting it from the hip which really wastes ammo. A regular braced pistol is much more practical.

-It did shoot pretty well with a sling support however

-The bolt/recoil system works. I had no malfunction in the 60 rounds (2 mags) I put through it.

-Full speed ahead finding a shoulder stock for it.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Back to the SU16 for a minute. I mentioned that It holds a 30 round mag in the stock. I was digging around in my boxes of stuff and came up with a stock pouch that I used on some of my hunting rifles before I started making leather ones. It will hold a 20 round mag, the original take down pin, a bore snake, ear plugs, lens cloth etc.

Not to mention that is serves as a padded, raised cheek weld for the scope.

So that's 50 rounds I can carry with the rifle. But what if I wanted more? I dug around some more in my stuff and came up with a AR mag pouch with molle straps. It can be attached to the stock pouch with the velcro straps.

It makes the stock pretty thick but then I shifted it to the bottom of the stock and it worked fine.

The only problem is the stock won't lock in the closed position when folded.

But it's pretty close and really doesn't hinder storage. So now I can carry 3 mags (80 rounds) with my SU. Pretty nice setup.

I'm headed back up the to cabin today with it to try out the 3-9x scope. I'll probably run the scope while shooting it long distance and then put the red dot back on it eventually as a truck gun. Still waiting on the sling kit to be delivered.

Update...I tried two different old 3x9x scopes yesterday. Neither one would focus at 9x at 25 yards. Apparently the paralax is much farther as i could focus at 150 & 200 yards.

I also sighted in my WWII 30 carbine, my Mini 30, and my Salga AK @ 25 yards. All 3 are fun to shoot. Photos when I get home.