Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
ratf51
Board Founder

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by ratf51 »

Mac66 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:05 am Besides picking up my new/old Timberwolf 357 slide action rifle from a buddy, I also got a 44 mag barrel for my H&R single shot. I already have two 44 mag rifles, one Marlin lever action and a Ruger semi but I couldn't pass up adding to the collection of barrels I have for my H&R particularly since he practically gave it away at a dirt cheep price. I now have a 12ga, 20 ga, 357 mag barrel all cut down to the legal limit (18" for shotguns, 16" for rifle). The 44 mag barrel is 24" so I may have my buddy cut it down to 16" to make it more handy.

The frame and both rifle barrels (and probably the shotgun barrels as well, I haven't tried yet) fit into a padded case he gave me.

You may have noticed that I made a leather sling and stock cuff/ammo holder. I may alter the cuff to take half 357s (which it now holds 10 of) and half 44 mags.

I did take it up to my cabin to shoot it but got occupied shooting the Timberwolf (it was fun to shoot) so I didn't take it out. Going back to the cabin tomorrow so I'll try and shoot it.

Update...

I dug out the shotgun barrels and added them to the case.

As shown the case weighs 20.7 lbs without ammo.

Very nice set-up! That is what you call a multi-purpose firearm! :)
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:16 am You've always got some of the sweetest setups I've seen Mac. This one is dandy and way versatile. How many barrels are available for that model? I would imagine a .22lr barrel is made for it?
Yes, there are 22 LR barrels for it. As for other barrels...shotguns made before around 1988 or so have cast iron frames/receivers. They can use any other shotgun barrels most pistol cartridges and low pressure rifle rounds like 30-30, 45-70 etc. Shotguns made after '88 are marked SB1 and are also cast iron with the same restrictions. When H&R/NEF came out with their "Handi-Rifle" it was made with steel receiver, is marked SB2 and can handle any rifle barrel. Any barrel that didn't come with it has to be fitted by filing the barrel catch. Too little and the barrel won't lock up, too much and it will open when you fire it, which ain't a good thing!

Bottom line is that there were only a few different pistol caliber barrels made and just the low pressure rifle barrels can be used. H&R/NEF stopped making single shots about 5 years ago and since that time prices for barrels have skyrocketed. You can sometimes find the older shotguns in pawn shops and out of the way gun shops in the used rack for around $100. My son picked up a 20ga for me a couple summers ago at a yard sale for $70. If you look around long enough you might be able to find one or two. The newer Handi Rifles are pretty scarce and demand high prices. Barrels and parts are on ebay but as I said the prices have jumped considerable. I bought my extra barrels on ebay for $10-20, add a zero now.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Ok. The Sig arrived yesterday and I was able to pick it up today. The FFL I used has the only local indoor range around here. He only charged $5 for handling the paperwork. So, I bought 50 rounds of ammo, a couple of targets, and range time-- and it was still less than every other FFL would have charged for the transfer alone. I also had my own ammo-- some of the Federal Syntech in 124gr (get some, the bullets look like little red lipsticks) and a box of the 124gr HSTs.

My observations: the pistol ran fine. I like the trigger, recoil is very easy to manage in such a small pistol, and the ergonomics work for me. At first I was all over the place with my shots. But then they began to tighten up nicely (for me that is.) I discovered this-- as the length of the magazines got longer my groups improved. Ten round flush was worst, extended base plate was better, and the 12 rounders were best of all. I'll have to work on shooting with the flush mag in order to learn to compensate for the lesser grip surface. Ammo was 115gr fmj (Magtech and whatever the range ammo was), 124gr +P Gold Dots (I had a partial box), the Syntech, and the HST. Best groups were with the Syntech and the gun seemed to prefer the 124gr over the 115gr.

Oh-- the magazine springs are seriously stiff. If you get a P365 make sure you have one of the Maglula loaders. Here endeth the lesson.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

ratf51 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:29 pm Ok. The Sig arrived yesterday and I was able to pick it up today. The FFL I used has the only local indoor range around here. He only charged $5 for handling the paperwork. So, I bought 50 rounds of ammo, a couple of targets, and range time-- and it was still less than every other FFL would have charged for the transfer alone. I also had my own ammo-- some of the Federal Syntech in 124gr (get some, the bullets look like little red lipsticks) and a box of the 124gr HSTs.

My observations: the pistol ran fine. I like the trigger, recoil is very easy to manage in such a small pistol, and the ergonomics work for me. At first I was all over the place with my shots. But then they began to tighten up nicely (for me that is.) I discovered this-- as the length of the magazines got longer my groups improved. Ten round flush was worst, extended base plate was better, and the 12 rounders were best of all. I'll have to work on shooting with the flush mag in order to learn to compensate for the lesser grip surface. Ammo was 115gr fmj (Magtech and whatever the range ammo was), 124gr +P Gold Dots (I had a partial box), the Syntech, and the HST. Best groups were with the Syntech and the gun seemed to prefer the 124gr over the 115gr.

Oh-- the magazine springs are seriously stiff. If you get a P365 make sure you have one of the Maglula loaders. Here endeth the lesson.
You aren’t kidding about the mag springs! And yep, I got a Maglula and it made life a lot easier. Glad you liked the new pistol. It really is a game changer.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Picked up a Gen 5 Glock 19 FS this morning. Beveled slide and frame on the muzzle and no half moon cut out on the front grip. I think it's a 2020 make but I'll verify with Glock. I'll be adding one of the beavertail backstraps because I like the feel and look. And I'll see about popping some night sights on it. That's pretty much the extent of my mods.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

As I noted in another thread I've been taking my rifles up to my cabin over that last few months and sighting them in/checking the zero. On thing I've realized is that my old eyes can't see the sights very well anymore. I had 2 ARs with optics on them and 3-4 others without. When I got home I dug out a couple old red dot sights and mounted them. I also had a fixed low powered scope I mounted on one of them. I have another 1-4x made for an AR but no 30mm rings for it. Going to have to order some rings and perhaps a couple more red dots.

Looking at the Bushnell TRS25 at the low end, the Sig Romeo 5 or Romeo 5 XRD in the middle and/or the Holosun 503 and 510. Not really looking for an ACOG. Am open for other suggestions.
Last edited by Mac66 on Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

The above photo is of the breach face. I learned that the G19.5 FS has a cut in the breach face that is suppose to greatly help with ejection of the spent case.

Ordered a set of Ameriglo I-Dot night sights. Should be here Saturday. I’ve had I-Dot sights before and really like them.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

As I was typing the above post I received a reply from Glock to an email that I sent out yesterday. My G19.5 was manufactured 5/7/2020. Not even a month old!

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I didn't know the G19s had ejection issues.

I go with Idots on everything I can. Best setup I've found.